TBR difficulty relative to MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we've had this discussion before, but there really wasn't a definitive answer. I've done Physics Part 1 and Gen Chemistry Part 1 (so, PS section), and I've averaged around 9, with an occasional 10 or 11. Am I in good shape, thus far, for the real MCAT PS, based on you guys' experience? I'm aiming for a 27 on the real MCAT (shooting for DO schools). Have you guys found TBR to be easier, the same, a bit harder?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know we've had this discussion before, but there really wasn't a definitive question. I've done Physics Part 1 and Gen Chemistry Part 1 (so, PS section), and I've averaged around 9, with an occasional 10 or 11. Am I in good shape, thus far, for the real MCAT PS, based on you guys' experience? I'm aiming for a 27 on the real MCAT (shooting for DO schools). Have you guys found TBR to be easier, the same, a bit harder?

Thanks for any help.

if you keep working hard, you'll be surprised and could end up with a 30+ and end up MD instead of DO.

if you keep working hard, you'll be surprised and could end up with a 30+ and end up MD instead of DO.
Of course, I'll always aim to do the best that I can, so I don't find myself in a false sense of security. I was just wondering how people thought TBR was as an indicator of the difficulty of the real thing?

Of course, I'll always aim to do the best that I can, so I don't find myself in a false sense of security. I was just wondering how people thought TBR was as an indicator of the difficulty of the real thing?

If you understand TBR concepts you will rape that PS section. It'll be a walk in the park.

Members don't see this ad :)
To safely score in the 11-12 range on later AAMC PS sections of practice tests I would say a firm 10 in every section and a decent ability to connect different concepts together is needed. TBR gives a lot of calculation problems in their PS sections in comparison to the practice tests of the MCAT, even AAMC 11 that everyone says is 'calculation heavy' If you're doing well in TBR PS timed, then you're in good shape.

Honestly I was scoring about 10-13 in TBR chem once i got used to the massive amts of calculations, I was doing about 8-10 in physics comparably. When I did the MCAT practices I was scoring about an 11 on AAMC 8-11, I think I got one 12 on AAMC 9. Basically all my mistakes were physics related, I only missed like 2-3 gchems and the rest were physics.

For BS, I was hitting about 12-13+ on every organic section, ochem can be tough section if you arent good with it, but TBR and the MCAT really keep it pretty simple in comparison to what you can be asked in an ochem class, which I just finished about 2 months before i took my MCAT. For bio I was getting anywhere from 10-12 in TBR. On AAMC practices I got either 12 or 13.

I only took the last four AAMCs because I heard they were the most representative, and I only had 2 weeks to take them and didnt want to burn myself out with practice tests after I had done a lot of passage practice with TBR the 3 weeks before. I'm still waiting on my MCAT score, honestly that could be anywhere higher than 30+, i dont think I got lower but you never really know with this test.

Bottom line, TBR is more difficult. It is more calculations and concept heavy. If you master TBR, the real MCAT will not pose a problem most of the time, barring those tough sections that seem to pop up with one or more experimental passages and big preset curve. One thing I dont think TBR prepares you well for is the BS section throwing bio questions that require a lot of thought and passage analysis that is similar to VR.

To safely score in the 11-12 range on later AAMC PS sections of practice tests I would say a firm 10 in every section and a decent ability to connect different concepts together is needed. TBR gives a lot of calculation problems in their PS sections in comparison to the practice tests of the MCAT, even AAMC 11 that everyone says is 'calculation heavy' If you're doing well in TBR PS timed, then you're in good shape.

Honestly I was scoring about 10-13 in TBR chem once i got used to the massive amts of calculations, I was doing about 8-10 in physics comparably. When I did the MCAT practices I was scoring about an 11 on AAMC 8-11, I think I got one 12 on AAMC 9. Basically all my mistakes were physics related, I only missed like 2-3 gchems and the rest were physics.

For BS, I was hitting about 12-13+ on every organic section, ochem can be tough section if you arent good with it, but TBR and the MCAT really keep it pretty simple in comparison to what you can be asked in an ochem class, which I just finished about 2 months before i took my MCAT. For bio I was getting anywhere from 10-12 in TBR. On AAMC practices I got either 12 or 13.

I only took the last four AAMCs because I heard they were the most representative, and I only had 2 weeks to take them and didnt want to burn myself out with practice tests after I had done a lot of passage practice with TBR the 3 weeks before. I'm still waiting on my MCAT score, honestly that could be anywhere higher than 30+, i dont think I got lower but you never really know with this test.

Bottom line, TBR is more difficult. It is more calculations and concept heavy. If you master TBR, the real MCAT will not pose a problem most of the time, barring those tough sections that seem to pop up with one or more experimental passages and big preset curve. One thing I dont think TBR prepares you well for is the BS section throwing bio questions that require a lot of thought and passage analysis that is similar to VR.
Thank you very much for your detailed response.