TCMC vs. Drexel vs. StonyBrook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody so I'm fortunate enough to have some options here. I'm on the waitlist for Jefferson and Miami and would choose either one over Stony, Drexel, and TCMC because those are my top choices. I'll have to wait for them until traffic day. But out of Stony Brook, Drexel, and TCMC which one would you all recommend? Cost isn't a factor because they would come out to equal costs over 4 years. Please let me know what you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Not a student, but I have friends at each school. One is a MS3 at TCMC, one who is a MS1 at Stony (his #1 choice and he interviewed at Vandy, UF, and other great schools), and another who is a MS1 at Drexel. The ones who are at TCMC and Stony have completely loved their experiences. My one friend had a chance to be really involved at TCMC if that's what you want from a school and got all the rotation sites she wanted. Stony Brook friend also had a sister who went there and she matched in a pretty competitive specialty. In general, these two seemed more relaxed and able to have more fun compared to my other friends. MS1 at Drexel thinks it's okay and the hospital isn't the greatest but med school is med school according to them. Good luck, and congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
I can't provide much input on Stony Brook, but I've had a bit of experience with Drexel. I was going to go there for a graduate program tied to their medical school, but chose to withdraw due to personal reasons. Speaking from completely personal experience they were extremely unorganized and all of the current medical students I spoke to pretty much said the same thing IWannaGoFast's friend said, "med school is med school." Which I get, but I think that being happy is also part of it. Drexel is a great school with many opportunities, but just based on those I've met, they don't seem to love it. I felt like they weren't convinced they had made the right decision. Take this all with a grain of salt, as I'm sure you could love any of them. Perhaps I just talked to the wrong people.

I also have two friends at TCMC and they both seem to love it. They feel very involved in the surrounding community and love that they can just take a weekend off and journey to NYC or Philly. It's a newer school, but it's coming along.

Either way I'm sure you'll make the right decision, congratulations!

I can't provide much input on Stony Brook, but I've had a bit of experience with Drexel. I was going to go there for a graduate program tied to their medical school, but chose to withdraw due to personal reasons. Speaking from completely personal experience they were extremely unorganized and all of the current medical students I spoke to pretty much said the same thing IWannaGoFast's friend said, "med school is med school." Which I get, but I think that being happy is also part of it. Drexel is a great school with many opportunities, but just based on those I've met, they don't seem to love it. I felt like they weren't convinced they had made the right decision. Take this all with a grain of salt, as I'm sure you could love any of them. Perhaps I just talked to the wrong people.

I also have two friends at TCMC and they both seem to love it. They feel very involved in the surrounding community and love that they can just take a weekend off and journey to NYC or Philly. It's a newer school, but it's coming along.

Either way I'm sure you'll make the right decision, congratulations!

I got the opposite impression at both schools from students there. TCMC students seemed more "meh" about it and DUCOM's didnt and seemed happy with their choice.

I was rejected from TCMC but would have chosen Drexel over it if given the choice. Yeah, I am biased as an MS1 at Drexel, but I have zero qualms about the school itself. What makes me unhappy about med school has nothing to do with Drexel, but more med school itself. You may have caught students around exams when everyone is stressed and just melancholy in general lol. Moods change big time right before and change a ton immediately after.

I got the opposite impression at both schools from students there. TCMC students seemed more "meh" about it and DUCOM's didnt and seemed happy with their choice.

I was rejected from TCMC but would have chosen Drexel over it if given the choice. Yeah, I am biased as an MS1 at Drexel, but I have zero qualms about the school itself. What makes me unhappy about med school has nothing to do with Drexel, but more med school itself. You may have caught students around exams when everyone is stressed and just melancholy in general lol. Moods change big time right before and change a ton immediately after.

Haha this is funny because I also got the opposite from what you had. I have a very close friend who's an MD2 at Drexel and he told me to avoid it at all costs, which is a resentment I have heard from students who had done the guaranteed med program from my undergrad as well. But that's not to say that TCMC doesn't have it's "problems" as does every other medical school.