TCOM from OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

Hi,

I wonder if it's worth the money to apply to TCOM from the Northeast.
My reasons are to increase my chance, cheap tuition compared to other schools and my intention to stay in Texas after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. It's unlikely for them to accept an OOS with no connections to Texas and especially with an extremely low mcat.

Does the fact I was born in TX, then moved away until high school but graduated HS in TX count as a connection? I have not lived there since 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the fact I was born in TX, then moved away until high school but graduated HS in TX count as a connection? I have not lived there since 2004

Yes, that is a connection. It shows that you actually have potential to practice in Texas. However again, I wouldn't apply to TCOM unless I was going to apply to other Texas schools as it's a whole new application.

oos also need higher than "average" stats for tcom

I would say you need a 27+ to be considered from OOS, preferably a 30 or so. They place a heavy emphasis on science gpa as well.

IMO if you really want to go to tcom or a texas school and have a gpa thats average for them, then retake your mcat. if you have average stats for them, have connections to tx then i would apply, but you would at least have to have average stats for them to consider you. again this is just my oppinion. but i would retake that mcat if you want to apply to them. then you could like seranade has said, even apply to other schools in TX to further show your commitment to TX.

Yep, definitely retake mcat to have a chance. Texas state schools require 90% of matriculants to be residents, so you would be competing against others with (likely) better stats for a few spots.

Yes, retake your MCAT and try to stand out. Competition is fierce in the OOS pool.

I would say you need a 27+ to be considered from OOS, preferably a 30 or so. They place a heavy emphasis on science gpa as well.

I can vouch for this. The first six weeks can be a brutal wake-up call if you don't know your cell science.