TCOM Open House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainMonkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
To all that can make it to the TCOM Open House on the 27th of March, it would be nice to meet the potential applicants. I myself plan on driving six hours to get there...anyway, Mike Kennedy is a really nice guy and very open about TCOM so I think it would be a good opportunity to meet with him personally.

Hope to see yall there,
Captain Monkey

Members don't see this ad.

so what does one has to do to attend this? applicant? pre-applicant? accepted? how do i find out more info...

They call it Spring Fling & Preview Weekend & Admissions Open House. Call the admissions office at 1-800-535-TCOM and tell them you are interested and attending. Check out the links with the info.

I know they are having a minority recruitment deal and something for the incoming class.
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/minoritystudentopenhouse.cfm

I also was under the impression that this was an open weekend for pre-meds as well. www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/OpenHouse.cfm

I think it would be a great chance for anyone to meet the admissons folks and it does give you something to write about in your application. One of my interviewers did notice in my application that I had visited the campus three times before my interview. When you know someone at a school and get to know them, they WILL try and pull for you. I found this out after being accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
i let TCOM know that i was interested in their open house at the end of the month and they said they would send me an invitation. i have yet to receive it. since i live hear in ft. worth i plan on just showing up. hope they let me attend. i planned on going to the minority recruitment thing but im really not sure if i can take the day off of work? so i'll see yall there on sat the 26.

are these tours//session recommended for pre-applicants only? I live very close to TCOM and I would really like to attend TCOM but I have to get all my prereq. done! Im a business major.

Would it be smart to attend these sessions?

are these tours//session recommended for pre-applicants only? I live very close to TCOM and I would really like to attend TCOM but I have to get all my prereq. done! Im a business major.

Would it be smart to attend these sessions?

you always learn something new each time you attend an open house sych as TCOM's or talk to someone that really knows whats going on at he school. and even if you dont this time its not as if you had to drive for days to get there. you have absolutely nothing to lose by attending. you should attend premeddo.

i live in San Antonio and will be driving up saturday morning.

see yo there hilikus.

Go to TCOM's web site and check it out for yourself if you are really interseted in what is going on! It is from 9:00 - 3:00 so they will cover a lot.

Ok...I saw they are having their minority open house on friday....which Im going to attend!!!! :) and Im thinking about attending the saturday open house aswell!!!

Originally posted by hilikus
i live in San Antonio and will be driving up saturday morning.

We are going up from SA on Friday. See ya soon!

as you premeddo i want to attend both nights but due to a tight work and school schedule i think i might only be able to make it to saturday's event. what can they possibly tell us on friday that they cannot tell us on saturday? i now that it is a great opportunity for exposure since we are being targeted but i am on a tight budget and one night of work can put me back a bit. but at the same time is $90-100 worth missing the opportunity to meet someone or establish some networking? by the way i am NOT pro-AA. i bust my tail too hard to be admitted into med school based on my appearance, so anyone that wants to start a "hang-the-URM" thread go start it somewhere else and not at my expense. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to attend but have been thinking my time would be better spent studying for the MCAT.

Anyone else in the same boat? It is only an hour away for me.

Has anyone been to one of these events in the past? Was it worthwhile? Is it more for applicants or accepted students in the Class of 2008?

Somebody that has been to the open house, please speak up.

Originally posted by jtorres
? by the way i am NOT pro-AA. i bust my tail too hard to be admitted into med school based on my appearance, so anyone that wants to start a "hang-the-URM" thread go start it somewhere else and not at my expense. thanks.

You should get over the whole AA thing and embrace it for helping you achieve your dreams. We have all worked hard. But you have a winning lottery ticket and if I was in your shoes, I would cash it in! If one loves medicine, then by all means necessary achieve your dreams.

After not making it in to school the first time I applied, I would have embraced anything that would have helped me get in just so I would not have to go through the pain of rejection again. Most of us do in some form. If you did not realize this already, you are the exception. You will get into medical school because you are so rare. That's great! There is no need for anyone to have a chip on their shoulders because of this and it is just the way it is.

Originally posted by jtorres
as you premeddo i want to attend both nights but due to a tight work and school schedule i think i might only be able to make it to saturday's event. what can they possibly tell us on friday that they cannot tell us on saturday? i now that it is a great opportunity for exposure since we are being targeted but i am on a tight budget and one night of work can put me back a bit. but at the same time is $90-100 worth missing the opportunity to meet someone or establish some networking? by the way i am NOT pro-AA. i bust my tail too hard to be admitted into med school based on my appearance, so anyone that wants to start a "hang-the-URM" thread go start it somewhere else and not at my expense. thanks.

I understand what you mean. Im off that day, and fortunately I have 830-530 Mon- Fri. job so I can attend these events.

And like you said and also one of my business director said "its all about networking, who you know"

Oh for those people who asked what type of clothing was required. I got an email from someone at TCOM. Comfirming my attendence and she said that dress is casual...so I think just a pair of slacks and a shirt would be fine for me. Nothing more.

I got an email from Diane Emory at the school and she went so far as to suggest that t-shirt and jeans was suffice but I think I'll dress a little nicer than that.

i appreciate your perspective STAC, its well thought out. i have no chip on my shoulder and being URM is NO lottery ticket for med school. i just feel that i am just as qualified as anyone applying and i want to be judged on the same merits everyone else is. i have my reasons for feeling this way (due to past experiences) and wish to leave it at that but thanks for your insightful advice.

Originally posted by hilikus
I got an email from Diane Emory at the school and she went so far as to suggest that t-shirt and jeans was suffice but I think I'll dress a little nicer than that.

No need. Just be comfortable. Nobody is going to be judging you, nor will they remember what you wore to Spring Fling come interview time! Just be comfortable and casual. This event is about us (TCOM) selling ourselves to YOU, not the other way around. Relax and have fun--play some basketball, eat some BBQ, check the place out.

There will be a time for snazzy duds, but this is not it. :)

It will be incoming 1st years for 2004 as well as prospective students for 2005 and beyond, plus some current 1st years and faculty/staff.

Have a great time! I will try to drag myself away from Renal to come meet some of you guys!

Sophie or anyone else-
I've heard and read about the open house, but I feel like I'm sorta caught in the middle as to who this open house caters to, which my understanding is for entering MS1's for class of 2008 and pre-meds, of which I am neither. I'm currently on TCOM's wait list and holding on to all hope that a miracle happens soon. So, should I make plans to stop in at the open house festivities? What's everybody think?

Spring Fling from what I have seen in years past is primarily reserved for the new entering classes of PA's and DO's. Maybe the focus has changed to a recruitment weekend as well but I have no clue. Anyway, this is a great weekend to meet everyone because the 1st and 2nd year classes are here and not as busy as normal.

Also, for any new TCOM students, I have a buddy who is moving and wishes to rent out he and his wife's house. It is very close to campus and is basically a brand new home in Arlington Heights. It is 3BR 2Bath in a great area, not quite within walking distance, but easily within biking and best for a moped!! He is leaving to do a scholarly year or so at John's Hopkins in Pathology research. He is about to list it this weekend at Spring Fling and is asking 950.00 month. It is perfect for 2 students to live together as it is modern, spacious, with a great room and front deck porch. Drop me a PM if you want his phone number and want to beat the weekend crowd. It will undoubtedly rent this weekend and he will be moved out mid June. See you all this weekend.

Snack--miracles happen. Have faith.

Come by and have some BBQ. See if you can get the lowdown on the waiting list from some of the admissions staff. :)

In fact, you can have my share since I am going to be in Austin this weekend!

A classmate of mine got off the waitlist last year on May 30. Another got his seat two weeks before class started. Hang in there.

SJ,

I really had no idea that it was open to prospect students. I didn't notice any last year, but its not like they wear nametags saying "prospects". And too bad you're not going to be there SJ. I was hoping to get you out on that Sumo wrestling mat!! ;)

Gosh, sumo wrestling with you is really tempting, Matt....maybe I will reconsider.

Nah, on second thought, I wouldn't want to make you look bad in front of all those new students...

:)

I'm pretty sure it's an open house type thing, so I think all are welcome for at least the Saturday festivities--but people should check on that I guess. I know our class has some things planned for specifically for c/o 2008 on Friday night and Saturday.

The email that I got from the school specifically stated that the spring fling was open to prospective students and they were encouraged to attend if at all possible.

What building are we to meet in on Sat morning?

this is what i got from them.

Thank you for your interest in the University of North Texas Health Science Center-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. This is to confirm your attendance at our open house on Saturday, March 27 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Parking is available in Lot A off Camp Bowie Boulevard and Clifton Street. Dress is casual attire. Please check-in at the lobby of Luibel Hall by 8:45 a.m. Staff will be on-hand to assist you.

We look forward to meeting you. Should you need any additional information on accommodations during your visit to Fort Worth and the University of North Texas Health Science Center, please feel free to call me at (817) 735-2204 or (800) 535-TCOM. Information regarding local hotels and driving directions are available on our web site, http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/visitors.cfm

Sincerely,

Mike Kennedy
Interim Director of Admissions and Outreach
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of North Texas Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76107

(817) 735-2204
(800) 535-TCOM

www.hsc.unt.edu