TCOM (Top DO) vs NSU MD (New/Lower Tier) – Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I’d really appreciate some guidance on choosing between these two schools:

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
  • Top DO program with strong reputation (especially in Texas)
  • Well-established with solid match history
  • Much cheaper tuition
  • Close to home (Texas resident)
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine (MD)
  • MD degree (bigger name recognition?)
  • Newer program → not as established
  • Considered lower-tier MD
  • Significantly more expensive
My concerns/questions:
  • How much does MD vs DO actually matter in 2025 and beyond?
  • Is a lower-tier MD > top DO, or does school strength matter more?
  • Would TCOM’s reputation + connections (especially in Texas) outweigh the MD title?
  • Any insight into NSU MD’s match outcomes or clinical training?
  • I’m not 100% set on a specialty yet (possibly something competitive, but unsure)
 
TCOM is great for instate matching. Might be one of the rare times you would pick DO over MD. But if you see urself being bothered by the DO degree mentally, I would just go MD. Personally speaking, in your shoes, I’d probably go MD but really depends on what you value.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad