Teacher to SLP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickey1t

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but my girlfriend is contemplating a change from elementary school teacher to Speech Pathology and I was wondering how much more schooling would be required? Is this change common? natural? Any liscensing exams or anything of that nature?

She loves dealing with kids, but wants something a little more fullfiling both financially and personally then where she is now.

Obviously Im pretty much in the dark on the topic and greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for my ignorance, but my girlfriend is contemplating a change from elementary school teacher to Speech Pathology and I was wondering how much more schooling would be required? Is this change common? natural? Any liscensing exams or anything of that nature?

She loves dealing with kids, but wants something a little more fullfiling both financially and personally then where she is now.

Obviously Im pretty much in the dark on the topic and greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks.
I am not a speech pathologist but I have a classmate that is and she already has her bachelors degree. Anyway she was a former teacher. She is currently in the speech master's program as a "conditional grad student" and is taking around 12 pre-req classes and then she would become an official grad student. Most of the students that are in the program has degrees in other fields like sociology, psych among others. I think it would be an easy transition for her to go from teaching to a speech pathologist. Good luck to her.:) Oh yeah the program at my university is 3 yrs including the pre-reqs. For those with undergrad speech degrees, the program is 2 yrs.

I'm in the same situation.

I think it's more of a career "transition" than "switch."

She'll get to continue working toward her retirement, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing easy or short about it. She'll need an average of 35 credits as prereqs (12 classes), and then 2+1 years in grad school. She can do the prereqs in roughly a year if she is diligent. I'm taking exactly one calendar year, but four semesters (summer, fall, spring, summer). This is a common schedule, especially for working people. So, it'll be an avergae of three years, of somewhat challenging school, and one year of supervised work before she is qualified. The good news is that she will be paid in her last year.