Teaching assistant salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galpsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or currently doing a PhD with teaching assistanship? I am interested in knowing how much can a PhD candidate earn in total in the US. Mean salary etc

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/average-ta-ra-stipends.796461/
Some info on it from 2011. It varies from school to school. Generally someone doing a PhD in psychology is just looking to survive the school process with minimal debt. Tuition being paid for is number one priority, getting in is the second, amount of stipend is probably a close third to look at. I got paid for being a TA and at several internships while I was at an expensive PsyD program. The tuition is what I am still paying for :arghh:, the extra money I earned just helped me survive.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have seen, the TAship amounts and responsibilities can vary widely. Thus, in addition to considering the amount funded, you may want to ask amount number of hours work that will be required. I agree that somewhere around $15-$18K is probably accurate. However, some of the better programs have stipends of $22,00+. In addition, I know of students who have earned significantly more if they took a funded RA position and were a top recruit, but in general, these required many more hours than typical assistantships. Some fund students for the whole year while other only fund students for the academic year.

One other thing to consider is that some programs will guarantee funding until you graduate while others will guarantee funding for only the first year or two. Thus, it is important to read the program materials, as a previous poster suggested. Good luck!