teaching assistant - worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darktooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my school offers MS2's TA positions in the anatomy lab for Ms1's

Fairly good time commitment.

is it worth it? As in, will residencies care? or is my time better invested in my grades and other extra curriculars?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No. Not one bit.

Reactions: 1 users
why not?

not even a little? CV padding? etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow...so residencies will not under any circumstances acknowledge TA on your application?

Oh wow...so residencies will not under any circumstances acknowledge TA on your application?

I can't speak from experience as I haven't gone through residency applications, but my guess is that it will go under the "this person did some things besides school, so that's good I suppose" category, which is probably towards the bottom of the list in terms of ranking applicants (if it even makes the list).

That being said, depending on how your school does AOA selection, it could help you in that respect. Also, it's a great way to review anatomy, which I'm sure can't hurt, although you shouldn't do it if it's going to hinder your performance during your second year or make you more stressed because you have even less time to have a life.

Reactions: 1 user
Do it so you don't have to work hard to remember anatomy in your dedicated period. Don't expect it to help for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who's been through the match, I'll disagree with the others. Being a TA can help you. It won't get you a slot if your grades, step scores are bad. But if all of that is good/passable, it will give your app an extra plus that many won't have. Residencies are academic and you'll be expected to help teach med students. Having experience doing that will only help you.