Teaching English Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in teaching english abroad, preferably in Europe, before I begin medical school. Can anyone share any personal experiences, recommendations, etc? I was hoping for a short-term thing, let's say, 3 months or less. Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in teaching english abroad, preferably in Europe, before I begin medical school. Can anyone share any personal experiences, recommendations, etc? I was hoping for a short-term thing, let's say, 3 months or less. Is this possible?
I'd say this is rather unlikely to arrange, unless you're doing it through a US nonprofit or church.

Being a native English speaker is not a rarity in Europe, they have their own. They call them Irish and British.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine did this program: http://www.ilp.org/ and she loved. It's local to the area she lived in, but from talking to her it sounds like people from all over the country teach abroad through this program so it shouldn't be a problem.

She did it twice, once to Russia (Moscow) and once to China (don't know where in China). I think they also do Ukraine and Mexico. She really enjoyed it.

She was only gone for 3-4 months, which sounds like what you are interested in. I don't know details, though.. you can investigate if you are interested.

Asia is always looking but requires a 6 months to 2 years. I had a friend who taught English in China for 6 months and extended her stay for another 6 months.