Teaching position at a community college with just a ma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mellitus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to find a teaching position at a community college with just a master's degree? Are they mostly hiring PHD's now?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it varies. And I m sure it varies depending on whether you want to just teach one class in order to supplement income, or want to try to eek out living teaching 4 or 5 at a time.

Last edited:
Are we talking adjunct or full-time faculty positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either really, but ideally something you can make a simple living on.

And if this is possible and one is interested in this route is anything in particular they should during their master's degree to prepare them and increase their chances of being hired?

Either really, but ideally something you can make a simple living on.

And if this is possible and one is interested in this route is anything in particular they should during their master's degree to prepare them and increase their chances of being hired?

At my local CC they only offer adjunct positions to those who hold MAs, and they can teach up to a maximum of 9 semester hours (3 classes) per semester. Those with PHDs can do more. you should be able to teach with just a masters.

The full-time psychology instructor at the CC where I adjunct has a Master's, so I know that it can be done. Not sure how common it is, though.

The place where I taught (as an adjunct) allowed MA's to teach. Whether or not you could teach full-time seemed largely contingent on the (people making the hiring decisions in the) dept, however, with some more likely to allow MA folks than others. Otherwise, there were no university rules preventing it.

I suspect that relying on an adjunct position as your sole source of income would be a PITA. I know a few who have done it, but they were busting their arses going from one CC to another to get the number of courses they needed to make enough money... and then they were still struggling. I personally wouldn't consider it UNLESS it was only intended as supplemental income (which is what most people I know do).

I know a few people who adjunct for a living. However, they have part-time jobs or adjunct at multiple schools. They have spouses who also work.

It's not a great way to make a living, but some institutions treat their adjuncts far better than others.

I have a number of friends who adjunct in different fields. None are able to make a sustainable living on it (no more than $35k/year) and then every semester is a rush to ensure you get courses. People get dropped and go back and forth between colleges all the time.

"make a living...." for who? Yourself and a studio apartment? Probably. A wife and child. No.

There have been a number of reports lately showing percent of adjunct faculty rising compared to full time. Full time slots are getting much more competitive

Even at community colleges?

And, yeah, with adjuncting you don't really know how much money you'll be making, if any, in future semesters. People have compared it to migrant workers' situation in that respect. Not to mention that the full-time faculty have first dibs on the classes.

It's a nice way to have a supplemental income during grad school or if you have a full time job in the field (that's how adjuncting was originally supposed to be, people out in the "real world" who could teach and share their knowledge). But a lot of people adjunct for their only income and they're really struggling. Plus many adjuncts don't get benefits or retirement. My CC does have that, but our state college faculty also have a union.

Check out this article, for instance: http://www.npr.org/2013/09/22/224946206/adjunct-professor-dies-destitute-then-sparks-debate

Even at community colleges?

And, yeah, with adjuncting you don't really know how much money you'll be making, if any, in future semesters. People have compared it to migrant workers' situation in that respect. Not to mention that the full-time faculty have first dibs on the classes.

It's a nice way to have a supplemental income during grad school or if you have a full time job in the field (that's how adjuncting was originally supposed to be, people out in the "real world" who could teach and share their knowledge). But a lot of people adjunct for their only income and they're really struggling. Plus many adjuncts don't get benefits or retirement. My CC does have that, but our state college faculty also have a union.

Check out this article, for instance: http://www.npr.org/2013/09/22/224946206/adjunct-professor-dies-destitute-then-sparks-debate

We had benefits and retirement at my CC. But we also had a union there. :)

It depends on where you want to teach, but generally speaking, adjunct positions with an MA are obtainable. Full-time faculty positions, however, are more likely to be given to those with a doctorate or an MA and a lot of prior teaching experience.