Teaching w/ the DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtm34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is possible to teach with the DPT, I would love to teach in the PT department of a University down the road. Most of the professors in my DPT department have their PhD and PT license but they are mostly BSpts or MSpts it seems a little much to have to get your DPT then PhD on top of that.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the PhD and EdD's are most likely required for full time faculty. As for adjunct faculty, I'm sure you can have any degree as long as you are experienced enough and have a good lesson plan.

My school, the Univ. of Central Arkansas, offers the PhD in PT for teaching and research. It is normally a 60 hour course, but if one has the DPT they let you acquire the PhD in 45 credit hours.

Another avenue I am going to look at is Texas Tech's ScD in MSK. It is done via distance learning with occasional long weekends on the Lubbock campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it is possible to teach with the DPT, I would love to teach in the PT department of a University down the road. Most of the professors in my DPT department have their PhD and PT license but they are mostly BSpts or MSpts it seems a little much to have to get your DPT then PhD on top of that.

With only the DPT you may be able to acquire an adjunct/assistant faculty position if you're specialized enough in a particular area. However, you would have much more difficulty finding a university to take you on as full time faculty without a PhD. It does happen, but if everyone is going to be graduating with a DPT in a few years, you'll need something more than that to set yourself apart for what is a rather limited number of teaching positions. In addition, some schools really want their profs to have experience conducting research and continue to do so, as you would while working on your PhD.

I'm just curious which major to take when pursing a PhD to be able to fit into a faculty position in PT school. Any major? or a PhD in PT?

I'm just curious which major to take when pursing a PhD to be able to fit into a faculty position in PT school. Any major? or a PhD in PT?

Bringing this thread back up, because the question was never answered, and I am also interested in eventually finding myself as a faculty member at a university.

So, what exactly should you get your PhD in if you want to teach at a PT school??

Bringing this thread back up, because the question was never answered, and I am also interested in eventually finding myself as a faculty member at a university.

So, what exactly should you get your PhD in if you want to teach at a PT school??

One option is for a PhD in PT, however, it's important to realize that PhD programs are not a set curriculum like something such as the DPT is. A PhD is a very specialized and individualized track utilizing close work with a faculty mentor in a very particular area of interest. That specialization and particular knowledge is what will qualify you for a faculty position. Consider that each school will aim for a diverse faculty so that they have "experts" in the various facets of PT. The emphasis is on the content, not the title.

We have team teachers for every class at our school...not all of them are a PhD so it's definitely possible.

If you have a PT degree you can also teach in a PTA program at a community college - I'm probably going to do that.

One option is for a PhD in PT

I would assume you would go with PT or some specialization in it... I've only ever been to a small local university (about 14,000 students) and I know you can specialize even your masters at the college I attended, but what "college" would you go through.

For example, I know that I can get a "PhD in Education"- and then specialize in whatever I feel. Are there schools that offer an actual PhD in PT? Or do you need to do some type of biology- anatomy/physiology/kinesiology and then specialize your studying from there...

Are there schools that offer an actual PhD in PT? Or do you need to do some type of biology- anatomy/physiology/kinesiology and then specialize your studying from there...

I am sure it varies from one university to another and I know little about any of them, but at Pitt I believe its considered a PhD in Rehabilitation Science, and then you choose whichever core area you are interested in from there. It falls within the same school as the PT department, the School of Health and Rehab Science, and you would presumably match up with a PT faculty member as your mentor.

I am sure it varies from one university to another and I know little about any of them, but at Pitt I believe its considered a PhD in Rehabilitation Science, and then you choose whichever core area you are interested in from there. It falls within the same school as the PT department, the School of Health and Rehab Science, and you would presumably match up with a PT faculty member as your mentor.

Ah, you're right. Pitt does have the PhD in Rehabilitation Science... Oh, the thoughts of more schooling after being in school for so long, haha. Thanks though, I'm sure there are probably other schools that offer a similar type program. Thanks!