Team Based Learning - DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iPt2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started my first year of DPT this fall.

I am in a new curriculum, which is mostly based on Team Based Learning (TBL).

So far, it seems as though no one really knows how to really administer TBL in an efficient way. We were promised less class time, however, that didn't happen, and instead, we are in class from 8-5 every day, most of which are not lectures. Therefore we need to study a few chapters every night, because we have Readiness Assessments the next day on material that has not been covered in class at all.

We then waste a lot of time in class with logistics and assessments, so it seams as though the professors aren't really teaching anymore, but have become mediators in class discussions.

I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing TBL, and what your thoughts on it were?

Members don't see this ad.

You wrote that it is a new curriculum. Is the program accredited? TBL sounds like an unproven method of teaching.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump...please let us know which school this is...

iPT2013-

Are other classmates of yours expressing the same frustrations? Is the faculty aware of the situation? I believe I know what school you are attending. I am applying there for next fall. One of the reasons I am applying is because of the benefits of TBL the school has been advertising. Maybe they are just working out the "kinks" since this is the first year for this curriculum?

PT Dad- If this is the school that I think it is, it is not only accredited, but a well respected school.

Again, which school is this? any hints? This is supposed to be an informative, helpful forum, so let's share the wealth, so to speak...

The school name is irrelevant, I will tell you that it is one of the top PT schools in the nation. I don't see the point in giving the name of the school.
The point was just to discuss TBL and whether or not it is effective, and to see if people were experiencing TBL, and share our experiences.

I think it's helpful to know which programs use certain teaching methods. Again, for some of us I think it might be helpful to know...but, it's your call.

Is it Duke? It meets your criteria.
A quick google search produces:

..The Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT).. ..Division ..at Duke University.....
.The Doctor of Physical Therapy Division is experiencing continued growth and is seeking to fill a 12 month.. ..appointment at the rank of assistant or associate professor, available ..Fall 2010... The new faculty member will join the current dynamic faculty of 20 in delivering an innovative team-based learning and interprofessional curriculum, which prepares graduates for practice consistent with APTA Vision 2020..

The school name is quite relevant if there are posters who would like to avoid such a school. There is no harm in naming the school. Schools do not have "super sleuths" who go about hacking forums such as this to find out who is behind anonymous forum names so that they can bring the hammer down on people who speak negatively about their program.

You "opened the can", so tell us what's inside.

The school name is quite relevant if there are posters who would like to avoid such a school. There is no harm in naming the school. Schools do not have "super sleuths" who go about hacking forums such as this to find out who is behind anonymous forum names so that they can bring the hammer down on people who speak negatively about their program.

You "opened the can", so tell us what's inside.

Agreed. If the OP was worried about getting away from the topic at hand, now we are because we just want to know what school it is!

If the information had been simply stated, we could move back to TBL

yes it is Duke. I didn't want to mention it because people are already assuming I think negatively of the program, which I am not. I like Duke a lot. In fact, the TBL is growing on me.

I mostly wanted to hear people's opinion on TBL as the first few weeks were a little confusing since it is a system that I (and most of my classmates) have not seen previously in our education.

I mostly wanted to hear people's opinion on TBL as the first few weeks were a little confusing since it is a system that I (and most of my classmates) have not seen previously in our education.

I'd like to hear more about your experiences... (I have none to offer since I am just applying to school for the 2011 cycle)

Just wanted to notify whoever is interested, that after 11 weeks of classes, I actually like TBL more and more.
Once you get used to the system, it is a great way to learn.

I think it was a bold move on Duke's behalf to switch to such a system, but I do believe that it is working out great. The faculty is very responsive to any student feedback about the program, and adjustments are being made constantly to improve our experience.

Overall, I think TBL provides a great environment for learning because it promotes discussion, and in order to discuss, understanding of material is necessary. In addition, after a group/class discussion is completed, material is usually understood better by students.

I am now very pleased with my experience here at Duke, and would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in PT.

Hello! I just wanted to hear more students' experiences with Duke's TBL curriculum. I was admitted to Duke and am trying to decide whether or not this style of learning would work for me. Thanks!

Hm... I'm actually taking a Problem/Team-based Learning class this Spring at the University of Houston, called Clinical Application of Anatomy & Physiology. So far, it's going very well. First class like it at UH. The class is facilitated by a professor who actually helped to develop the PBL/TBL classes at one of the medical schools in the Texas Medical Center.

Honestly, this has been my favorite class of my undergraduate career. When it's done correctly, you can learn a lot and what you learn really sticks with you as opposed to lecture style classes.

Give it time and everybody'll get a hang of it. Hopefully. And it really matters if the instructor also knows what he/she is doing.

I am graduating from a problem based learning program in May and I will say that as with anything there are pros and cons.

Traditional learning involves a teacher.. who teaches. These are the classes you took with lectures, homework, and unchangeable syllabi. You are told what to learn to pass the tests.

Problem based learning is said to be more adult type learning. Your teachers are now facilitators or mentors, you work very close with classmates, you go home and research and read EVERY night, there is some homework but not often, tons of papers of course, and a program that is very flexible.

Most of my classmates, myself included had a very difficult time adjusting to PBL, but most of us will say we couldn't have done 8-5 lectures M-F. PBL helps you to learn how to research and how to critically analyze your textbooks, journals, and even the information your professors give you. I thoroughly believe these are skills you need when you become an autonomous practitioner, as there won't be someone telling you what to do when you are on your own.

There are cons, however. Some things just need to be taught lecture style and occasionally during group discussions if you don't have a good facilitator you can miss out on things. You need to research the programs for sure, to make sure the program is conducive to your style of learning.

Hope this helps.