SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Tech license any good while obtaining Pharmd?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by shishkabab, Apr 16, 2007.

1. shishkabab

shishkabab Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Hello, quick question for you guys/gals:

I will be attending pharmacy school this coming fall in California, and I am currently a clerk at a pharmacy. I am enrolled in the tech class, and will have my tech license sometime around august. My question is, is there any point anymore? Don't you get paid more than a tech if you're working at a pharmacy while in pharmacy school? confused. thanks in advance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes - you get paid more as an intern in CA.

But, for an intern license in CA, you must have your school sign off on it. Most won't sign off until you've taken the law course which is in the first quarter/semester. So you can expect your intern license in the middle of the school year.

If you feel you need to be emloyed & make money between now & then - you need to decide if you want to stay in the class. You can always take the PTCB & just apply for the tech registration & let it expire once you get your intern license.

4. shishkabab

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks, getting the license in the first quarter would be good enough for me. thanks again. Another question for you, yes i could do a search, but i'm lazy, about how much does a P1 make in CA?

5. cycloketocaine

cycloketocaine 7+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2006
    The Boonies
    That's sad......

6. shishkabab

Apr 13, 2005
    LOL....i know, but you know what, i'm STILL too lazy to do it!

7. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Eh - depends on where you are - S CA or N CA, hospital, retail, independent.....experience, no experience. No less than a tech without experience though.

8. shishkabab

Apr 13, 2005
    Cool, thanks guys.

9. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

9-15 again depending on parameters mentioned by SDN, at least that's what I recall from my tech class in SoCal.