Tech Only Flow.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univlad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've out in practice a few years now but I think I was well trained in flow cytometry during residency and a hemepath fellowship. My hospital is not big enough to support its own flow lab, but I've considered off and on suggesting moving to the tech only flow cytometry places many labs are offering.

Do any of the labs offer any some refresher training or updates in reading flow cytometry? Or does anyone know of any such courses available to take?

Is the reimbursement worth the time? Part of me also just does not want to the loose the skills in case my hospital's contract implodes and I need to look for another job.

Members don't see this ad.

I used this lab before. Good service. Not sure about the reimbursement now, coz not practicing in this area for few years.
https://www.siparadigm.com

I've out in practice a few years now but I think I was well trained in flow cytometry during residency and a hemepath fellowship. My hospital is not big enough to support its own flow lab, but I've considered off and on suggesting moving to the tech only flow cytometry places many labs are offering.

Do any of the labs offer any some refresher training or updates in reading flow cytometry? Or does anyone know of any such courses available to take?

Is the reimbursement worth the time? Part of me also just does not want to the loose the skills in case my hospital's contract implodes and I need to look for another job.

Check out Neogenomics.com. They pioneered online tech only.

The have some basic online training . You can hit the "easy button" and have them sign it out if it is too tough for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone currently do Tech Only Flow with Mayo?

The have some basic online training . You can hit the "easy button" and have them sign it out if it is too tough for you.

It is really nice to be able to reflex cases to global when they are either difficult or you don't have time. You can start by looking at the cases, formulating your diagnoses, then reflexing to global and comparing results. Is it worth it financially? Depends on your situation. You aren't going to get rich reading flow, but you'll be paid something (better than nothing). I think it's also good for patient care. I always get more insight into my lymph nodes and bone marrows by interpreting the flow myself.

Reactions: 1 user
We use Neogenomics which also now owns Clarient and we're happy with the service. While I'm sure we have the volume to turn a profit from running our own flow lab, the initial capital expenditures and personnel expenses are a bit daunting. No one is going to get rich off of 88189s in routine community practice, but it does add to the bottom line.

I am sure Mayo is great too. Their reports and IT platform is not as cool.

I know some folks in Va use CSI which is north of Atlanta I think.

We've used CSI with good results for several years. We get at least a preliminary result to the clinicians within 24 hours which has helped sustain our reputation with our oncologists. While its nice to sell the service as continuity of care, I like, doing it mostly for interest and intellectual challenge, as the reimbursement is pretty minimal given the amount of time involved in analysis. That being said, routine negative cases and B cell lymphomas are pretty straight-forward and not particularly challenging.