Well, tuition-wise, obviously they should go to wherever they have residency. Now, I am a New Mexico resident, but went to school in Texas (so I guess I'm a little New Mexico bias). I would personally go to UNM, for a number of reasons:
1) I like pbl a lot, and UNM is very pbl heavy
2) The class size at UNM is MUCH smaller, only around 80 people, which gives you a lot more personal attention.
3) Albuquerque is a much better place to live than Lubbock. My bro is currently the T.V. meteorologist in Lubbock and hates it. It is the most conservative city in the nation, but if that floats your boat, then go for it. If you like the outdoors, you really cannot beat New Mexico, and Burque is dirt cheap to live in.
4) Also, if he/she were thinking about primary care, then UNM is a well-known school, especially for GP.
5) Lastly, I just feel like the medschool really cares for their medical students. UNM was made with the intention to help the people of New Mexico, and similar to schools like UW, they really try to push the compassionate doctor. Not only this, but considering it is the only medical school in the state, they receive a lot of attention. Tech is one of seven schools....The majority of the students at UNM are there because they REALLY want to be there, not because they didn't get in somewhere else.
6)Oh yeah, and UNM is completely rebuilding and renovating the health/science campus, with a new building every year (read: this includes a new cadaver lab).
Falco, that is great that your friend allready heard back from UNM. When did he/she hear back? I interviewed there in September 06 and still have yet to hear, although I am not surprized since I am not UNM's ideal candidate (a lot of politics and racial stuff goes into decisions, plus I don't speak spanish).
I can say all of this since I have been at UNM for the past four years, and have lived in NM since I was 5 yrs. old.
That venting being over with, I would definitely choose NM if your friend is in state. The tuition alone will tear me from Penn State or Albert Einstein if I get accepted on March 15th when they send out the bulk of their decisions.