Technical Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sahbi61

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I am currently going through the PsyD admissions process right now through PSYCAS, and I just accepted the offer of one of the safety schools I had applied to. The school informed me that they would let PSYCAS know to indicate that I had accepted their offer. I am sort of waiting on other schools to let me know whether or not I got accepted, while also considering taking a gap year and reapplying to more programs next year. I don’t know if other schools can see where I have committed though, and was really hoping no one can really see that I have accepted another school’s offer in the case that I decide to do something else. Would this impact my chances of getting another acceptance? Could I still withdraw my acceptance and take a gap year? I know this is kind of ****ty of me, but this whole process is very overwhelming.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how to answer your question, as I don't have any experience with PSYCAS. I have a follow-up question, though. Why did you decide to accept an offer when you're still waiting to hear back from other schools and/or might take a gap year? Is there a deadline you needed to follow? I'd imagine any deadlines should be universal (like the April 15 deadline), but maybe it's different for PSYCAS.

I honestly panicked. Their method was a bit different, basically I had to let them know whether or not I accepted before they reached 20 members in their cohort. No one told me how many people they already had, which came across as a bit odd, but I just didn’t want to miss this opportunity since I haven’t applied to too many programs, and haven’t heard good things from anywhere else yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly panicked. Their method was a bit different, basically I had to let them know whether or not I accepted before they reached 20 members in their cohort. No one told me how many people they already had, which came across as a bit odd, but I just didn’t want to miss this opportunity since I haven’t applied to too many programs, and haven’t heard good things from anywhere else yet.

This is somewhat of a big red flag in and of itself.

Reactions: 7 users
it felt weird ngl. Could I still back out? This program was def not like my favorite one.
Have you signed any paperwork yet? Unless you've signed the official paperwork, you're not technically part of the program. Backing out is a bad look for sure, but I agree that this method of acceptance is sus as f*&%. No program should be offering slots to more folks than they are prepared to ultimately accept. Backing out and getting a bad look is better than potentially making a bad career mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is this school APA accredited? This admissions process sounds like it blatantly conflicts with APA standards and the common April 15 standard notification deadline… agree with everyone that this alone probably is a bellwether of the overall ethics of this program.

Reactions: 3 users
Is this school APA accredited? This admissions process sounds like it blatantly conflicts with APA standards and the common April 15 standard notification deadline… agree with everyone that this alone probably is a bellwether of the overall ethics of this program.
Not quite yet! They're seeking accreditation on a contingency. I talked about this with some folks on this forum before, so I def know that this school is a red flag, but I honestly just panicked. My dad really wants me to start a doctorate program right now (I'm trying to take a gap year to do research), so there is quite a bit of pressure on me.

Its A Trap GIF

Reactions: 2 users
I backed out of a Psy.D. program after I had already accepted and got into a funded program the following year. Last time I checked, I still seem to have all of my fingers.
I Can Fix That Dule Hill GIF

Reactions: 1 user