Techs or security guards who talk too much

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
am I the only one who gets annoyed by this? Just because YOU have nothing to do doesn’t mean I don’t.

It’s distracting and annoying.

I type this as I sit next to two hens talking like this is gossip hour. So annoyed. Already asked them to quiet down with minimal effect.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I try to talk to them and them talking to each other doesn't bother me. Being a security guard in ED or a patient "watcher" would be the most effing boring job in the world (until it isn't, when I become really happy I have them working with me) -- just sitting outside the room of someone with borderline personality disorder because they endorsed SI, for what is probably not great pay, all day, because of JACHO regulations with... doesn't seem very satisfying. I think we should encourage them to talk actually, but more with patients -- maybe some motivational interviewing relating to using meth or alcohol?

Reactions: 4 users
This is 10 years ago now, but, whatever. I was working an overnight at one of the community shops. It's about 5am. I'm trying to get something done. The security guard, a legit nice guy, is tapping his keys on the desk. I ask him to stop. He takes out a quarter or half dollar, and is tapping that on the desk. I ask him again to stop. He puts the coin away, and starts thrumming on the desktop with his fingers. I say, "sir, seriously - I need to finish this here". He was, apparently, legitimately surprised, as if he wasn't aware. However, thankfully, he then stopped.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I try to talk to them and them talking to each other doesn't bother me. Being a security guard in ED or a patient "watcher" would be the most effing boring job in the world (until it isn't, when I become really happy I have them working with me) -- just sitting outside the room of someone with borderline personality disorder because they endorsed SI, for what is probably not great pay, all day, because of JACHO regulations with... doesn't seem very satisfying. I think we should encourage them to talk actually, but more with patients -- maybe some motivational interviewing relating to using meth or alcohol?

I don't mind a bit of talking. I'm not psycho. But, chatting up like it's gossip hour, especially when the ER is busy and a mad house, is very annoying. And it's also annoying on a quiet night when we want to dim the lights and have a more calm environment. Ahh, I guess I'm just a misophone. I hate beeping and buzzing as well, and I routinely turn down TV volume in patient rooms. On another note, I hate working in places without a box for the ER doctor. I am a big fan of the box, despite what any study or policy would say about the matter. I want an office and my quiet corner so that I can think when things are rough and relax my brain when things are better.

I've learned never to say anything to ancillary staff or nursing when they are annoying. The worst thing you can do is piss them off, then in the future they find a reason to lodge a formal complaint. In my experience doctors seem to be more expendable to the hospital than nurses, or techs.

Reactions: 5 users
I've learned never to say anything to ancillary staff or nursing when they are annoying. The worst thing you can do is piss them off, then in the future they find a reason to lodge a formal complaint. In my experience doctors seem to be more expendable to the hospital than nurses, or techs.
We're not union, of course it's easier!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Just tell them you saw someone suspicious outside and you want them to go look or tell the tech they need to help restock room 10 or some ****.

The annoyance factor multiplies tenfold when you're at an underfunded city hospital where **** doesn't get done, and yet the techs are yakking away at a mile a minute.

Reactions: 3 users