Teeth whitening/ bleaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Copacetic52

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your views on teeth whitening/bleaching? Would you recommend it? I was thinking about getting it done but I heard that it makes your teeth more sensitive. I'm not sure about any other side effects. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

opalescence, good one out there if you have custom trays. otherwise crest whiten strips are pretty effective.

Discus Dental makes some of the best whitening gel out there. Their gel has something called ACP or "amorphous calcium phosphate". It is a biomimetic material that "rebuilds" enamel. It is low sensitivity (KNO3 in the gel) and they have many different concentrations depending on your needs. Find a dentist who carries 22% nite white and have custom trays made.

Members don't see this ad :)
i bleached my teeth 1 1/2 years ago.. it's still pretty white. i had nothing but positive comments from others.

UOPDDS09 said:
Discus Dental makes some of the best whitening gel out there. Their gel has something called ACP or "amorphous calcium phosphate". It is a biomimetic material that "rebuilds" enamel. It is low sensitivity (KNO3 in the gel) and they have many different concentrations depending on your needs. Find a dentist who carries 22% nite white and have custom trays made.

Rebuilds enamel? Wow, the rep must have made a good speech. Peroxide penetrates the tooth that's how it gets sensitive, there's none of this rebuilding enamel bs unless you're talking about remineralization. Yeah your teeth get sensitive, but once you stop bleaching it goes away, therefore, zero complications.

If you think bleaching is invasive or somewhat dangerous then you're an idiot, if it hurts, ease up on the juice, ask barry bonds

UOPDDS09 said:

I see you've been to a Dorfman lecture recently. I just saw him last night at a fraternity gathering. Unbeleiveable business man.

many people will have sensitivity and some will have gum irritation from whitening, but it goes away a few days later (no known permanent side effects) and you can usually control them by experimenting with lower concentrations of peroxide, shorter wearing time and more time in between whitening sessions. usually a mild painkiller like asprin can also help control sensitivity after whitening, and if you get custom trays, your dentist can also give you a flouride or other desensitizing gel to wear in your tray after bleaching. as far as gum irritation having the custom trays made decreases peroxide leaking into the mouth so it would decrease soft tissue irritation (I find whitestrips are also very good).

Whitestrips work and are excellent for the price. The whiteness wears off quicker than a dental bleaching (in my personal experiance) so that may be something to consider (not statistically).

superchris147 said:
If you think bleaching is invasive or somewhat dangerous then you're an idiot
...or maybe, rather than being idiots, they're simply not dentists. For crying out loud, people... :thumbdown:

quick question? is baking soda and peroxide safe for teeth whitening? I am currently using "colgate with oxygen bubbles" that contain these two chemicals. expertise anyone?