Teeth with Crown Preps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballsnspeedos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy typodont teeth with crown preps for wax ups?

Members don't see this ad.

Where can I buy typodont teeth with crown preps for wax ups?

it takes like 20 minutes to do a crown prep once you have practiced it like 10-100x... seems a little fishy to me why you would ONLY want to practice waxing up ...

Members don't see this ad :)
it takes like 20 minutes to do a crown prep once you have practiced it like 10-100x... seems a little fishy to me why you would ONLY want to practice waxing up ...

Come on guys, who waxes teeth on crown preps? First years. Do first years know how to do crown preps? NO!

We got one in our kits to wax up on the first year, but I'm not sure where you would find one at.

Reactions: 1 user
grab an old typodont tooth from a d2/3/4

d1s at my school wax up on crown preps that we made. pretty much most of what we did last semester. Prep a tooth, wax it up. Crown preps aren't that bad since you can make early mistakes and still fix your work.

Some people here use die lube to take off each waxup and store the resulting wax crowns. You can use the same prep over and over, and you can save your work to compare. We didn't even get issued handpieces first year, so doing a prep on our own wasn't really an option.

Some people here use die lube to take off each waxup and store the resulting wax crowns. You can use the same prep over and over, and you can save your work to compare. We didn't even get issued handpieces first year, so doing a prep on our own wasn't really an option.

Seriously?!?!?! I would have killed myself if we couldnt destroy some teeth! HOW DID YOU LIVE?

dont take waxing up serious, your not practicing to be a tech, you need to learn how to drill so save your energy for prepping not waxing. but im sure you can find a d2,3 with some prepped teeth pay them $5 for the bag they will be happy for such a deal

lol waxing is such a waste of time. the only thing you'll get out of it is learning the anatomy. just get through the exercise and tuck your waxing kit under your bed for the rest of dental school

lol waxing is such a waste of time. the only thing you'll get out of it is learning the anatomy. just get through the exercise and tuck your waxing kit under your bed for the rest of dental school

I did that but then I had nightmares about waxing.Now I just keep the Mave's Blue Inlay Wax, tin, and PKT1&2 in a double layered leaded safe covered in animal offerings and dream catchers...

If you think waxing up teeth was only for first years, think again. You'll do plenty of diagnostic waxups once you get into clinic.

it is for first yrs only when you have that 6 unit veneer case find that kid who aced all the wax up exams and pay him $50 bucks im sure your going to spend far more time than he would. Also once you graduate your lab will be waxing up your work, it just makes no sense. Dont get me wrong if you have the time have fun waxing up you will get really good on composite buildups where no one will ever see the all the way in the back :laugh:

You are completely wrong going into this class with this type of opinion. Waxing is what gives you the eye to create the appropriate esthetics when shaping teeth. Each tooth has its own specific anatomy, the waxing course teaches you how to visualize where the lines, line angles, height of contours, etc... should be incorporated into your restorations. I still occasionally do my own wax-up for a quick temporary stint on patients.

Reactions: 1 user
You are completely wrong going into this class with this type of opinion. Waxing is what gives you the eye to create the appropriate esthetics when shaping teeth. Each tooth has its own specific anatomy, the waxing course teaches you how to visualize where the lines, line angles, height of contours, etc... should be incorporated into your restorations. I still occasionally do my own wax-up for a quick temporary stint on patients.

And of course Ocean there's absolutely no correlation between being able to properly shape a tooth in wax using instruments and being able to properly shape a tooth in a direct resortaive material using instruments! ;):laugh::D

I wish we were done with wax-ups after d1. At my school we are required to wax and cast all our patients gold crowns. Gonna be waxing one up next week hopefully.

it is for first yrs only when you have that 6 unit veneer case find that kid who aced all the wax up exams and pay him $50 bucks im sure your going to spend far more time than he would. Also once you graduate your lab will be waxing up your work, it just makes no sense. Dont get me wrong if you have the time have fun waxing up you will get really good on composite buildups where no one will ever see the all the way in the back :laugh:
Wow. Good luck passing boards.