Teledermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatuvicguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just recently been turned on to dermatology as a 2nd year med after our systems block on integument. As I've explored on the web I've come across a few references to 'teledermatology'. For example, Harvard's program: http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/dermatology/telederm/index.aspx I can't seem to find any discussion on the forum about this.

Am I being naive in seeing this technological advance as possibly introducing the possibility of pursuing a career in dermatology outside of a major center (eg. a local nurse located in bigger center and high-resolution webcam. Is this already being done? I guess income would be significantly lower without procedural work but perhaps you could just do this for a few weeks here and there?

Just curious.
thatuvicguy

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should worry more about the local FP taking your derm cases rather than someone in another country doing it. Since most derm cases are not considered emergencies, I could see this going somewhere though.

I think you should worry more about the local FP taking your derm cases rather than someone in another country doing it. Since most derm cases are not considered emergencies, I could see this going somewhere though.

I think you sort of misjudged where I was coming from on this - I'm interested in the prospects of using telederm to my advantage to live a more flexible lifestyle in terms of location should I choose to pursue derm. No fears about turf :)

Sooo, does anyone know if this is happening yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in the prospects of using telederm to my advantage to live a more flexible lifestyle in terms of location should I choose to pursue derm.

Lol. You can't say "tele" without thinking "outsourcing" in the back of your mind.

has anyone tried to make an appointment with a dermatologist recently? i think there will be plenty of patients to see.

I mean would you really trust a diagnosis from a derm. whose only exam was by webcam.

Telederm is very real. Although I'm a pain management fellow in Houston with NO interest in derm, my father is a dermatologist in Columbia, SC. After a few decades of private practice, he is now at the VA there. He is in charge of setting up the telederm thing, linking about half a dozen VA's around the southeast. They will be using high-resolution web-cams and monitors. The govt. is investing millions in this technology.

Now derms can kick back in a dark room and make cash just like radiologists. Now if only I could get a robot to drive my needles under fluoro....

I've had hands on experience with Telederm. And frankly, it's been disappointing. Of course, the technology will evolve, but even then I can't see it used outside very remote areas for routine cases. I guess Rads would be a better field for this technology, but that's outside my field of expertise.