thatuvicguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi there,

I've just recently been turned on to dermatology as a 2nd year med after our systems block on integument. As I've explored on the web I've come across a few references to 'teledermatology'. For example, Harvard's program: http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/dermatology/telederm/index.aspx I can't seem to find any discussion on the forum about this.

Am I being naive in seeing this technological advance as possibly introducing the possibility of pursuing a career in dermatology outside of a major center (eg. a local nurse located in bigger center and high-resolution webcam. Is this already being done? I guess income would be significantly lower without procedural work but perhaps you could just do this for a few weeks here and there?

Just curious.
thatuvicguy

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think you should worry more about the local FP taking your derm cases rather than someone in another country doing it. Since most derm cases are not considered emergencies, I could see this going somewhere though.

thatuvicguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think you should worry more about the local FP taking your derm cases rather than someone in another country doing it. Since most derm cases are not considered emergencies, I could see this going somewhere though.

I think you sort of misjudged where I was coming from on this - I'm interested in the prospects of using telederm to my advantage to live a more flexible lifestyle in terms of location should I choose to pursue derm. No fears about turf :)

Sooo, does anyone know if this is happening yet?

About the Ads

Taurus

Paul Revere of Medicine
15+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm interested in the prospects of using telederm to my advantage to live a more flexible lifestyle in terms of location should I choose to pursue derm.

Lol. You can't say "tele" without thinking "outsourcing" in the back of your mind.

ezmoney1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
has anyone tried to make an appointment with a dermatologist recently? i think there will be plenty of patients to see.

I mean would you really trust a diagnosis from a derm. whose only exam was by webcam.

ParaVert

Interventional Pain
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
southern small town
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Telederm is very real. Although I'm a pain management fellow in Houston with NO interest in derm, my father is a dermatologist in Columbia, SC. After a few decades of private practice, he is now at the VA there. He is in charge of setting up the telederm thing, linking about half a dozen VA's around the southeast. They will be using high-resolution web-cams and monitors. The govt. is investing millions in this technology.

Now derms can kick back in a dark room and make cash just like radiologists. Now if only I could get a robot to drive my needles under fluoro....

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I've had hands on experience with Telederm. And frankly, it's been disappointing. Of course, the technology will evolve, but even then I can't see it used outside very remote areas for routine cases. I guess Rads would be a better field for this technology, but that's outside my field of expertise.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.