Telemedicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Are any of you using Skype, Face Time, Google Chat, etc for conferencing, CME, or back office work? My practice is geographically distributed over many, many miles and I'd love to incorporate this technology.

Even a journal club or attending CME events would be great. I'm thinking of adding an I-Pad to my travels and Face Time - or Google Chat - to all of my family's computers.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if Medicare would permit virtual - face time, skype, etc - team rounds? Since there is no direct patient care and physician billing, would it matter? It would certainly make my life more efficient without compromising patient care in any way.

Anyone know if Medicare would permit virtual - face time, skype, etc - team rounds? Since there is no direct patient care and physician billing, would it matter? It would certainly make my life more efficient without compromising patient care in any way.

Sinc the laws were written before this stuff really existed, I doubt they address it. See if it addresses telephone team meetings. If so, you could infer the rest would be legal.

Members don't see this ad :)

HIPAA may have something to say about this, but I think if you use secure, ecrypted videoconferencing software you should be ok.

in addition, the interpretation of HIPAA compliant software is more vague. Any the cheap encryption products or even the free ones can probably suffice. But You need something. Skype won't cut it. Best to talk to your hospital HIPAA compliant officer to get the OK.