telepathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahsavari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all
i am a 4 year medical student.i am interested to know the mechanism of telepathy.can anyone guide me?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Uhh...I think you're looking for "psychic," not psychiatrist. I don't think I can help you...but I think some of my patients are self-professed experts in this.

I can't help with telepathy, but I am good at sketching trolls. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this post IMHO represents all those cooky consults I used to get.

E.g. Reason for consult: we believe the patient (suffering from chronic kidney disease, and claims to have pain from this problem) may be malingering for pain medications. I need you to tell me if this patient is lying.

My response:

Psychiatrists cannot read minds and are not capable of detecting lies no more than the layman. If anything, your own expertise in your own field will give you better ability to tell if this patient is malingering based on his complaints of pain and if they are consistent with others with his condition.

Or: Patient is not talking to us. Tell us what he is thinking.

My response: If you believe the patient is suffering from a psychiatric disorder, then please re-consult us. Otherwise, it is your responsibility to communicate with your patient and determine his needs. My field of expertise is psychiatry, not reasons why a patient may choose not to communicate with his doctor.

Then a re-consult for the same patient: Reason: Rule out psychosis. He won't talk to us.

My response: The patient was not psychotic. During the interview he showed no evidence of psychosis. He said he did not want to talk to his primary doctor because of personal reasons none of which give me any reason to believe they were indicative of psychosis.

Last edited:
Uhh...I think you're looking for "psychic," not psychiatrist. I don't think I can help you...but I think some of my patients are self-professed experts in this.

I knew you were going to say that.
:rolleyes:

hi all
.i am interested to know the mechanism of telepathy.can anyone guide me?:)

Too much dopaminergic activity in the mesolimbic circuits.

From wikipedia:

The notion of telepathy is not dissimilar to two psychological concepts: delusions of thought insertion/removal and psychological symbiosis. This similarity might explain how some people have come up with the idea of telepathy. Thought insertion/removal is a symptom of psychosis, particularly of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Psychiatric patients who experience this symptom falsely believe that some of their thoughts are not their own and that others (e.g., other people, aliens, demons or fallen angels, or conspiring intelligence agencies) are putting thoughts into their minds (thought insertion). Some patients feel as if thoughts are being taken out of their minds or deleted (thought removal). Along with other symptoms of psychosis, delusions of thought insertion may be reduced by antipsychotic medication.

I don't think telepathy is such a far-fetched idea. We can't scientifically identify a language that dogs have, but dog owners claim to understand what various barks mean. I think there's the sci-fi idea that telepathy exists with absolutely no context or with magic, but I'm not sure if that's what the word originally meant. That's not that I mean when I talk about dogs and people. In that context, there are obviously clues, just not ones that are defined well.

Based on a few community college classes I've taken in psychology, I think the term you would see more often in psychology is intersubjectivity, which has been at times extended to the idea that the mind does not exist in an isolated state. We often have an idea of what others think, whether we're right or not.

Also, if you look at the original definition of telepathy, you could make the argument that it describes the unknown mechanisms by which we talk to ourselves, and try to know our own feelings and thoughts. Or you could use the word intersubjectivity, there, as well.

Have no idea if this is related to what you were asking, just some of my meandering thoughts on the subject.

Edit: Just realized the date of the OP's post. I'll leave this in case anyone else is interested.

I don't think telepathy is such a far-fetched idea. We can't scientifically identify a language that dogs have, but dog owners claim to understand what various barks mean. I think there's the sci-fi idea that telepathy exists with absolutely no context or with magic, but I'm not sure if that's what the word originally meant. That's not that I mean when I talk about dogs and people. In that context, there are obviously clues, just not ones that are defined well.

Based on a few community college classes I've taken in psychology, I think the term you would see more often in psychology is intersubjectivity, which has been at times extended to the idea that the mind does not exist in an isolated state. We often have an idea of what others think, whether we're right or not.

Also, if you look at the original definition of telepathy, you could make the argument that it describes the unknown mechanisms by which we talk to ourselves, and try to know our own feelings and thoughts. Or you could use the word intersubjectivity, there, as well.

Have no idea if this is related to what you were asking, just some of my meandering thoughts on the subject.

Edit: Just realized the date of the OP's post. I'll leave this in case anyone else is interested.

When you interpret a dog's bark, that is not telepathy.

When you interpret a dog's bark, that is not telepathy.

My point is that telepathy, vaguely defined ("the transmission of information from one person to another without using any of our known sensory channels or physical interaction"), could be said to be on a spectrum of believing one understands another's feeling/thinking, whether accurate or not, through vagaries we haven't defined.

For example, I have a sense of how you feel about me when I read your reply. What known sensory channel or physical interaction am I using? There's a sense of intersubjectivity, which is what would ordinarily call the phenomenon, but I thought the word telepathy could be stretched to fit, as well.

My point is that telepathy, vaguely defined ("the transmission of information from one person to another without using any of our known sensory channels or physical interaction"), could be said to be on a spectrum of believing one understands another's feeling/thinking, whether accurate or not, through vagaries we haven't defined.

For example, I have a sense of how you feel about me when I read your reply. What known sensory channel or physical interaction am I using? There's a sense of intersubjectivity, which is what would ordinarily call the phenomenon, but I thought the word telepathy could be stretched to fit, as well.

Well, of course if you change its definition, its definition can be plausible....:confused:

But what you are describing is not what is defined as telepathy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

I just assumed the poor fellow meant telepsychiatry, and stumbled over the language.

I read a while ago about an experiment where dog owners were placed in a separate room from their dogs and were asked to try to identify the emotion of their dogs' barks. They weren't able to. :(

I read a while ago about an experiment where dog owners were placed in a separate room from their dogs and were asked to try to identify the emotion of their dogs' barks. They weren't able to. :(

My dog just developed DI on phenobarb and KBr. I know exactly what he's feeling! (ashamed, when he pisses all over my slippers, like this morning).

My dog just developed DI on phenobarb and KBr. I know exactly what he's feeling! (ashamed, when he pisses all over my slippers, like this morning).

I'm so sorry about your dog. I am telepathically sending you this message. Can you do that if you don't know the person? :naughty: