telephone interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stenosis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a program has offered me a telephone interview. They say they will rank applicants for the real interview based on perfomance on the phone interview. I would like to hear from anyone who has heard about this before. Any pointers would be really good. I am really stressed, I never expected to be so low in the dumps,.. I thought i was fairly competitive but I guess NOT.

Members don't see this ad.

So you have to pass the telephone interview in order to be considered for the real interview? wow, what specialty is this? and is this program considered very good??

So a program has offered me a telephone interview. They say they will rank applicants for the real interview based on perfomance on the phone interview. I would like to hear from anyone who has heard about this before. Any pointers would be really good. I am really stressed, I never expected to be so low in the dumps,.. I thought i was fairly competitive but I guess NOT.

What is making you in the dumps?? It sounds like you have already made one cut for this program... they probably make everyone who made the first cut do a phone interview to minimize the number of applicants they have to spend the whole day with... if you are a competetive applicant you'll get the interview. I had to do a phone interview for med school back in the day and the pointers I received was to have someone to practice with... get a friend to call you and interview you to get the whole feel of the phone interview. WOrked for me... but who knows. Best of luck... you'll do fine.

If I got a phone interview, I would immediately proceed to ERAS and withdraw myself from applying to that program. In this day and age, that's just lazy. At least pay for the phone minutes they are wasting on your cell phone.

If I got a phone interview, I would immediately proceed to ERAS and withdraw myself from applying to that program. In this day and age, that's just lazy. At least pay for the phone minutes they are wasting on your cell phone.

Unfortunately I dont have the luxury of declining interviews at the moment. Being a foreign grad has it's own difficulties so I have to get what they bring to the table. All I needed was some insight into what I should expect from people who have had previous experience oh anyone who might know anything about phone interviews.

Unfortunately I dont have the luxury of declining interviews at the moment. Being a foreign grad has it's own difficulties so I have to get what they bring to the table. All I needed was some insight into what I should expect from people who have had previous experience oh anyone who might know anything about phone interviews.

they're prob just checking to see u can speak english.

are you a US or foreign IMG? it makes sense that a program director wants to make sure a foreign IMG can speak english well enough. this is likely there way of doing that.

I had a telephone interview for Mayo for medical school. It isn't that bad. Just go for it, you did apply to the program. Go through the hoops. What do you have to lose?

I am a foreign grad not a USIMG. If it's just about English proficiency then I don't have a problem with that. English language (both spoken and written) is probably the only thing I can really brag about. I come from a former British colony, so I had to learn English right from the first year of primary school. I really hope it's the main thing they are looking for.

yeah, it sounds more to see if you can speak a good english.

Have you taken step 2 CS. Because if you passed that exam it means you can speak in english.

yeah, it sounds more to see if you can speak a good english.

Have you taken step 2 CS. Because if you passed that exam it means you can speak in english.

Taking CS Oct 26. I guess that would lend some weight to your opinion that it's probably an English language check since I haven't taken Cs yet.

Hey Stenosis, did you apply to anesthesia at all?
In another thread you mentiond you were torn between that and IM.

Hey Stenosis, did you apply to anesthesia at all?
In another thread you mentiond you were torn between that and IM.

yes I did. Dont really fancy my chances that much in anesthesia, heard it's getting harder to get for IMGs. If it happens to come through, that would be cool but I won't sweat about it if I cant get it. Will still be happy in IM though. Also applied to a few OB/GYN for back up coz I didn't want to apply to FP like some pple do as a back up coz I really hate FP. Just cant stand it.

Taking CS Oct 26. I guess that would lend some weight to your opinion that it's probably an English language check since I haven't taken Cs yet.

dont worry about it. I think they want to know how proficient you are in english since they dont have a passing score on your CS, since you havent taken the exam.

I had my telephone interview yesterday and am happy to say it went well because today they offered me a real interview. So thanks for all your kind words.

Congrats Stenosis!
So I guess it really was about your english right?
Was it IM or Anesthesia program?
Did you get any anesthesia invites yet?
Sorry for throwing all those questions at you :)

Congrats Stenosis!
So I guess it really was about your english right?
Was it IM or Anesthesia program?
Did you get any anesthesia invites yet?
Sorry for throwing all those questions at you :)

Thanks Venus. The interview was for IM. I still haven't heard a single thing from any of the Anesthesia programs. It seems that most of the ones I applied to still haven't started sending out interviews yet. So far I only have 3 set up; 2 in IM and 1 OB/GYN. I think I would still be happy doing any of the three at the end of the day coz for me deciding on a specialty in just the 4th year of medical school has been really difficult. I just wish there was more time to make a really informed decision.
The interview itself was really simple; no medical questions.