Telepsychiatry Moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vasanervo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start PGY-4 and have really limited moonlighting opportunities in my small city. I was wondering if anyone has ideas about telepsychiatry moonlighting opportunities. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many, check with your state health department and the state psych facility they are always hiring for inpatient or outpatient work!

I just got a full time offer for Child psych is for 430k for 30 hours a week, with a bonus it’s 480. Just letting you know there are great offers out there once you become an Attending. Moonlighting in my area for such telehealth jobs range from 150-200 per hour for residents/fellows

Reactions: 1 users
There are many, check with your state health department and the state psych facility they are always hiring for inpatient or outpatient work!

I just got a full time offer for Child psych is for 430k for 30 hours a week, with a bonus it’s 480. Just letting you know there are great offers out there once you become an Attending. Moonlighting in my area for such telehealth jobs range from 150-200 per hour for residents/fellows
Thanks a lot. I got the impression from some attendings that most places are unwilling to accept PGY-4s for tele moonlighting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it really depends on the individual facility and also State you’re in. Some places are very desperate for “doctors” and “psychiatrists” and they don’t care if you’re a resident or not. You always have negotiating power because you’re a doctor with skills no one else has due to your training, so don’t let anyone lowball yo!

Thanks a lot. I got the impression from some attendings that most places are unwilling to accept PGY-4s for tele moonlighting.
It will fully depend what type of work and each facilify. In the state I trained I did on site moonlighting and the reason many places wouldn't want you is that you cannot bill any insurance in my state other than Medicare and for some reason BCBS. So any place using you to see notes would either need to lose money you generate or have full attending cosigning your visits with effectively loses them money as well. The place I worked though really needed weekend coverage and I could still generate the facility fee for them so thats what they really needed

So I actually also need help with this. I cannot get a state license in the state I live in, but I can get one anywhere else besides California. Could I get a state license somewhere else and do tele moonlight there? Anyone recommends a specific state? Also, I tried to find tele moonlight gigs but had a hard time finding them. Would locums company have options?

Sorry for all the questions, really lost with this one as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Do you know of any companies that are doing telepsych for any settings besides outpatient

Do you know of any companies that are doing telepsych for any settings besides outpatient
I get offers all the time for inpatient telepsych work. I can send you more info if you PM me!