Tell interviewer already accepted??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pickles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, my question is should you tell the school your interviewing at that your already accepted somewhere else. Do you think this would hurt or help your chances? I understand you have to tell them if they ask you but should you tell them in a round-about-way even if they don't??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have to tell them if they ask you. You could probably plead the 5th if they got serious and tried to force you to tell them.

I would tell a school that they're your top choice even if they may not be, as long as you could see yourself going there. A guy on the adcom at UNC told me this, saying to act like the school your interviewing at is your favorite school, because if you got rejections from your higher choices, the lower choice would actually be your top choice.

I doubt any adcom is going to favor you because another school likes you, because they look at the same stuff the other schools do.

I think it's a good thing to tell them... if you're accepted, and taking the time to interview at that school, I think that that says that you are very interested in their school. Kind of like telling a school it's one of your top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, go with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. If a school asks you if you have been accepted anywhere else, of course tell them that you have (a little honesty never hurt anybody). However, be sure to stress that you are very interested in their school. As for Pierre, he says "Go to a french school, he will show you all the proper tools for a proper exam.";)

i was asked if i had gotten any acceptances when i was at my Harvard interview... although it's hard to guess what the intent of the question is, it never hurts to be honest so I just told him...

I agree that you should tell if asked, don't if not. I know some interviewers in a family medicine residency office and they said they really disliked it when interviewees told them about the other residency programs that were highly interested them in what they saw as the student's crass attempt to gain some sort of leverage. I'm pretty sure it works the same in med school interviews.