tell me about yourself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If asked "tell me about yourself" during the interview, are we expected to give a chronological summary of our lives? or are we expected to give a short answer about who we are (ie. I'm a student at...)?

Members don't see this ad.

sdnstud said:
If asked "tell me about yourself" during the interview, are we expected to give a chronological summary of our lives? or are we expected to give a short answer about who we are (ie. I'm a student at...)?

They probably want to see more of your personal side than anything they already can read about you, assuming the interview is open file.

sdnstud said:

tell me about yourself = what do you want to tell me

Talk about what interests you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medikit said:
Just say "17/f/ca" or something

HAHA. That was so good. I should try that. And pop in a little "w00t." after that. :laugh:

I would talk about things make you different from everyone else. Don't bore them with pre-med clonal stories. Anectodal stories which reveal who you are are good.

i hate this question! i just got asked this in my last interview and its just hard to know where to take it...i went with a good summary of my life (because im int', i have traveled a lot so i talked about that) but after that they just stared at me so i busted out with extra stuff...like what sports im into, football...i dont know, i guess you should talk about your interests. its hard just because youre wondering if they want you to sell yourself as an applicant for med school or as a person..and there are differences.

acl3623 said:
i hate this question! i just got asked this in my last interview and its just hard to know where to take it...i went with a good summary of my life (because im int', i have traveled a lot so i talked about that) but after that they just stared at me so i busted out with extra stuff...like what sports im into, football...i dont know, i guess you should talk about your interests. its hard just because youre wondering if they want you to sell yourself as an applicant for med school or as a person..and there are differences.

Sorry if this has nothing to do with the original topic, but can I ask you where you got an interview... Just cuz I'm int' too and I'm wondering what schools are int' "friendly." I haven't heard back from any of my schools yet. No rejections, no interviews, nothing... Thanks a lot! :)

Code Brown said:
tell me about yourself = what do you want to tell me

Talk about what interests you.

I second this one. I don't think they really care what you decide to talk about, as long as it's meaningful to you. Bascially, whatever you decide to talk about, make sure you have some interesting stories to back it up, or genuine reasons for picking those aspects of yourself. Like someone else posted, you don't want regurgitate (sp?) a bunch of "pre-med" stuff, since alot of people are going to have those same qualities. Pick something about yourself that you think is important to you, that you want to share with the admissions committee. If it makes you feel any better, every time I think about this question I still can't come up with a good answer. So it's definitely not meant to be easy. Good luck!

KiKat37 said:
Sorry if this has nothing to do with the original topic, but can I ask you where you got an interview... Just cuz I'm int' too and I'm wondering what schools are int' "friendly." I haven't heard back from any of my schools yet. No rejections, no interviews, nothing... Thanks a lot! :)

actually ive interviewed at 2 D.O. schools (comp & nova) and im scheduled for DMU in dec.. It seems like osteopathic schools are more open to the idea of int'ls applying and staying here to practice. ive gotten no love from allopathic schools though...drew/UCLA sent me a secondary, which is apparently pretty hard to get but they only let in 25 people into their program so even if i get an interview it will be tough...it can be done though! so i hear... :D

acl3623 said:

I really think this question needs to go altogether. It's bland, vague, and mindless. If the interviewer had done his/her job and read your file, there would be no need to ask this question since our entire lives are in the application.

i hate this question!!! i feel like i am reading off my resume when i answer that... i know personal stories are good, but i havent thought of one that encapsulates "me"... yuck!