"tell me about yourself"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i think there was a thread like this already but couldn't find it... my first interview is on monday and i'm starting to freakkkk. i think "tell me about yourself" is such an open ended question. like "hi my name is _______ and i have 2 brothers, i like dogs and reading books"? or is it more like when you're in a job interview and you say "blah blah i'm a hard worker..." and all that boring stuff? i guess basically i'm wondering if there's some secret answer they're looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, i think there was a thread like this already but couldn't find it... my first interview is on monday and i'm starting to freakkkk. i think "tell me about yourself" is such an open ended question. like "hi my name is _______ and i have 2 brothers, i like dogs and reading books"? or is it more like when you're in a job interview and you say "blah blah i'm a hard worker..." and all that boring stuff? i guess basically i'm wondering if there's some secret answer they're looking for.

I went with "I like dogs and birds and teeth"..... Just kidding. For my interviews it was more like a conversation, so just talk about whatever your comfortable with. I felt semi-prepared after some practice interviews and just told myself that I'm hard worker who likes to be around people (hopefully that's what was conveyed). I haven't gained any other secrets yet. Good luck I think if you can hold a competent conversation you should do well.

My brother-in-law gave me good advice. He said to respond to that question, pretend you are in an elevator and someone asks you that. What do you want them to know before you get off the elevator and go your separate ways? It produced a pretty good answer at my Columbia interview, but I guess the true test will come Dec 1.

P.S. It doesn't have to be about dentistry per se.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, I was gonna start with "I was born and raised where and when, and moved to US when and blah blah..." Is it too personal?

Hm, I was gonna start with "I was born and raised where and when, and moved to US when and blah blah..." Is it too personal?

i don't think it's too personal. I would mention the fact that you were born in a different country and moved to US because it will give interviewer information about your childhood/origin which i think is part of 'tell me about yourself' question (also can lead to a different topic during your interview about things you had to overcome and different exposure and experiences you had)

How long do you guys think is appropriate for an answer to "Tell me about your self" question? I guess it would highly depend on how detaild you would want to say...but does 3 mins sound reasonable?

How long do you guys think is appropriate for an answer to "Tell me about your self" question? I guess it would highly depend on how detaild you would want to say...but does 3 mins sound reasonable?

hmm yeah i think it's hard to say exactly how many minutes.
what i would do is while you're talking about yourself, try to see their reaction. if it seems like they are losing interest in your story and you're just talking about stuff that would not help them with getting to know who you are, it's probably better off to stop it early and try to move on to next question to give them more information about your character.

also try to do research before going into the interview to see if they are using standard questions (for ex. compare interview feedbacks to see if most of students were asked same numbers of same questions) or if they are more open to ask you whatever it is. if they are more open to ask you any questions during your interview, i would say you can go little longer because this can actually be the best question to sell you to the school but if they have to finish certain numbers of interview questions during your interview, i would try to cut it short so you can spend more time for other questions they would like to ask you

this is the BEST starter to a "tell me about yourself question." worked for me every time so far! i suggest everyone use this even if they are not born outside the country - just make something up. :p
but no...just start off with your childhood, move up from grade school to high school to undergrad and just talk like ur having a normal conversation. don't sound like you have it memorized - if this means using a lot of "um" and "like" do it...but dont overdo it so it seems liek ur not prepared at all. gluck :thumbup:

Here is basically how I responded to the oly person who asked me that question. It made her laugh and in the end I was accepted to that school.

'Ok!!! A little about myself.

Day One - Nov xx, 19xx. It was a dark and stormy night in Meridian,
Mississippi. A woman in labor and her husband speeding down the
highway trying to make it to the hospital in time. Finally, at the
hospital, they rush to get inside. Less than 15 minutes later, out
it came. A beautiful, bouncing, baby boy. And the world hasn't been
the same since.

Day two - not much happening. Sleeping, eating, pooping, more sleeping , more eating, more, well, dirty diapers......... '