Tell me about yourself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggg666

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
My interview coming up soon and I am just worried about that question "tell me about yourself?"
I mean where do you start? My plan was to talk about where I was born and raised and everything up to my undergrad within the first 30 seconds, then start to focus on my undergrad and how I got interested into dentistry, my volunteer trip, and my research.
Is that a good breakdown? What points should I focus on? how long should I talk for?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
My interview coming up soon and I am just worried about that question "tell me about yourself?"
I mean where do you start? My plan was to talk about where I was born and raised and everything up to my undergrad within the first 30 seconds, then start to focus on my undergrad and how I got interested into dentistry, my volunteer trip, and my research.
Is that a good breakdown? What points should I focus on? how long should I talk for?
Cheers!

1) Calm down.
2) Don't time yourself like that. The interview itself is already stressful enough. By limiting yourself like that, it'll just make it all that more stressful.
3) Just be yourself! I personally said something different for each of my interviews but mostly related it to my undergrad at first bc I knew followup questions regarding dentistry and EC will come up.

Also, talk for however long the conversation carries for. Each of my interviews lasted over 30 min and I did kind of babble on at times but always had a point.

Gl

Hey guys!
Cheers!

Greetings,

Don't make it more than it really is. Treat all interview questions as you are conversing with someone in a bar or at a restaurant, There is no need to tell your life story other than where you grew up, where you went to school and how you decide to be a dentist. DP

You will be fine. Do not go crazy with details before college. Unless you had some dramatic life altering event which took place before college, just give a brief synopsis (e.g., born and raised in ****, TX....involved in band, UIL,....first became interested in dentistry when i was ** years old). In college I was involved in *** organizations, work, etc. Lastly, mention those VERY recent dental shadowing experiences which have ultimately led you to actually applying for and wanting to pursue dental school (just an example like I used).

You may also want to give a brief (5-10 second) synopsis on your hobbies, what you like to do during your liesure time. Yes school is important, but you need to show them that you are interested in a lot of things....AND NOT JUST SCHOOL!!!!!!

It is pretty easy to go off some crazy tangent on this type of questions. Just keep it general.