Tell me if these are good programs! I don't know anything and need good advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjz2

Reaction score
Hi All!

Let me know what you guys think of these PsyD programs I picked out:

GW, Rutgers, Palo Alto/PGSP-Stanford PsyD Consortium, Loyola University Maryland, Baylor, Yeshiva, Widener.
(Insiders is saying the acceptance rates for some of these programs are literally less than 10%. That seems hard to get into.. )

I found them on the Insider's Guide book and looked at APA match rates and cohort sizes. My advisor at my school was saying how getting an MSW first might help me get into good PsyD programs. MSW programs are rigorous though and I don't know if I'd be able to do research assistant job at the same time. What would be best? Also, how are people even finding research assistant jobs right now in psychology? I am just emailing professors at universities near my home but I think they care about students that actually go to the university and not recent graduates looking for a full-time job for experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you’re trying to gather info (which is hard to find) and make some life choices (which is stressful).

But I think you could benefit from taking a brief step back, which can then point you in the right direction.

Ask yourself this: what’s the difference between a professional historian (like the one who taught your last undergrad history class) and somebody who likes history?

The technical answer is that the former likely has a PhD. But a more in depth answer is that they engage with contributing to new historical knowledge. Many spend their days pouring over archival, first-hand data to try to better understand that thing (and share it via academic routes).

Somebody who watches the History Channel a lot just likes history. But would probably not enjoy reading first hand sources (like an unorganized collection of an important figures letters they wrote to family & friends).

There’s a parallel to liking psychology versus being a psychologist, which in grad school will involve making academic contributions to the field and in practice, utilizing that foundation in clinical practice or continued academic work.

If you mainly think psychology is fun and cool, there are lots of career routes where you might be able to engage this passion such as marketing, Human Resources, consulting, etc.

If you want to be a therapist, the most straight forward training is a MS level degree that leads to licensure. Somebody can be a great therapist without delving into the science of this field.

If you want to be a psychologist, think about what you’re lacking (likely engagement with the research of novel topics) and whether you’d enjoy this.

Most people who like psychology/history/any topic actually would not enjoy PhD level work in that field. It’s tedious and when you’re deep into trying to find support for a phenomenon, you’re learning gets super narrowly focused (versus ‘abnormal psych is so cool!’).

If you do, try to get an RA job. Don’t do an MSW in prep for a doctorate in psychology.

Funded psychology doctorate programs might even think that’s a negative because you were spending graduate study time in a separate discipline with its own set of principles. A self-pay PsyD would probably see it as a plus but if you really want to participate in full academic psychology, you should be looking at funded PsyD and PhDs.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi All!

GW, Rutgers, Palo Alto/PGSP-Stanford PsyD Consortium, Loyola University Maryland, Baylor, Yeshiva, Widener.
(Insiders is saying the acceptance rates for some of these programs are literally less than 10%. That seems hard to get into.. )

I found them on the Insider's Guide book and looked at APA match rates and cohort sizes. My advisor at my school was saying how getting an MSW first might help me get into good PsyD programs. MSW programs are rigorous though and I don't know if I'd be able to do research assistant job at the same time. What would be best? Also, how are people even finding research assistant jobs right now in psychology? I am just emailing professors at universities near my home but I think they care about students that actually go to the university and not recent graduates looking for a full-time job for experience.
Also - I am going to get flamed for this, but consider a Ph.D. instead of a PsyD program. PhD is still the preferred degree despite the propaganda disseminated by PsyD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a MSW (actually a LCSW), and I am in one of those PsyD programs right now. I also got accepted to a few others that you listed. If you want to message me privately I am happy to answer any questions I can.

Last edited:
I know you’re trying to gather info (which is hard to find) and make some life choices (which is stressful).

But I think you could benefit from taking a brief step back, which can then point you in the right direction.

Ask yourself this: what’s the difference between a professional historian (like the one who taught your last undergrad history class) and somebody who likes history?

The technical answer is that the former likely has a PhD. But a more in depth answer is that they engage with contributing to new historical knowledge. Many spend their days pouring over archival, first-hand data to try to better understand that thing (and share it via academic routes).

Somebody who watches the History Channel a lot just likes history. But would probably not enjoy reading first hand sources (like an unorganized collection of an important figures letters they wrote to family & friends).

There’s a parallel to liking psychology versus being a psychologist, which in grad school will involve making academic contributions to the field and in practice, utilizing that foundation in clinical practice or continued academic work.

If you mainly think psychology is fun and cool, there are lots of career routes where you might be able to engage this passion such as marketing, Human Resources, consulting, etc.

If you want to be a therapist, the most straight forward training is a MS level degree that leads to licensure. Somebody can be a great therapist without delving into the science of this field.

If you want to be a psychologist, think about what you’re lacking (likely engagement with the research of novel topics) and whether you’d enjoy this.

Most people who like psychology/history/any topic actually would not enjoy PhD level work in that field. It’s tedious and when you’re deep into trying to find support for a phenomenon, you’re learning gets super narrowly focused (versus ‘abnormal psych is so cool!’).

If you do, try to get an RA job. Don’t do an MSW in prep for a doctorate in psychology.

Funded psychology doctorate programs might even think that’s a negative because you were spending graduate study time in a separate discipline with its own set of principles. A self-pay PsyD would probably see it as a plus but if you really want to participate in full academic psychology, you should be looking at funded PsyD and PhDs.
thank you!

Hi All!

Out of the list, Baylor and Rutgers rang a bell in my head. Pepperdine is also a strong program (if you're into debt and only clinical practice). If you have some passion for research, a PhD might do you better if you are willing to put as much effort getting into these competitive programs. Also, Georgia Southern and James Madison are funded PsyDs on top of Baylor (Research heavy PsyD) and Rutgers.

Hi All!

I question the wisdom of your advisor and wonder exactly what your career goals are that you would need to get an MSW and then a PsyD as those licenses are quite redundant for many jobs. It is kind of like applying for medical school after becoming a nurse practitioner. Sure, you can do it, but why?

It seems like you need better mentorship before jumping into this process as you seem to be struggling to understand the process. If you don't already have research experience, you are going to have a hard time getting paid to do it. Writing to professors and offering to volunteer will likely work better, get you lab experience, and maybe some decent mentorship to help narrow down your interests and career goals.

Reactions: 4 users
I question the wisdom of your advisor and wonder exactly what your career goals are that you would need to get an MSW and then a PsyD as those licenses are quite redundant for many jobs. It is kind of like applying for medical school after becoming a nurse practitioner. Sure, you can do it, but why?

It seems like you need better mentorship before jumping into this process as you seem to be struggling to understand the process. If you don't already have research experience, you are going to have a hard time getting paid to do it. Writing to professors and offering to volunteer will likely work better, get you lab experience, and maybe some decent mentorship to help narrow down your interests and career goals.
I second this. As someone who has seen several peers get masters first before going in to get their PsyD, those credits often do not transfer (if you got to an APA accredited program. Which is absolutely a need). It’s a waste of time and money if you all ready know you will be going the PsyD route ultimately. I just finished my PsyD program (went straight from undergrad, however had research experience from my university and we presented several occasions, including out of country). Make sure your program you pick makes you competitive enough with PhDs. It matters. I’m happy to talk about the program I picked and why privately if you send a DM

Reached out to a research coordinator about volunteering at labs nearby! And I think based on all the feedback I've gotten here, I will stick to not getting the MSW.

Reached out to a research coordinator about volunteering at labs nearby! And I think based on all the feedback I've gotten here, I will stick to not getting the MSW.

An MSW can be a cost effective path to becoming a psychotherapist and can be a better option than an expensive PsyD in many instances if it fits your career goals. An MSW will be nearly useless as a stepping stone into a PsyD. There will be some limitations to what you can do clinically compared to a PsyD, but that may not make a difference to you. I encourage you to read some of the old threads here and do some research into the differences.

Reactions: 1 users