Tell me....What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdlamkin8195

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from a state with no D-School and will be applying this next cycle to all of the nearest states with D-Schools...I have a 3.55 GPA and will take the DAT in about a month......I can't afford to move out of state to establish residency so....As a back up plan, how would it look if I enrolled in my instate dental hygiene school (its a Bac. Program) AND Masters in Public Health?? What would the ADCOMS think about this combo?

I will have all of my Pre-reqs done (I'm graduating with a Bac. in biology this may)....so If i do it i'll end up with 2 bac. degrees (bio and DH) and a MPH......but my GOAL is dental school in the end....

I'm a guy, and i've read that hygiene is 98.3% women, so I'm trying to get a feel for this before I get the ball rolling lol...

I'm open for any suggestions....thanks...:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just apply to dental school, why go for another degree? Your GPA is fine. I would say get your stuff together and apply for the next cycle. Focus on dental school not other things. Do some research and find out which school accept a lot of out-of-staters. Also, apply to a few private schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
What state are you from?

so i'm guessing you're either from a new england state or utah. if you're from the latter, i'd say you don't have that much to worry about. i have similar stats to you with a degree in microbiology from UVM. i didn't have problems getting interviews or acceptances. make sure you do well on the dat and gets some ECs as well as shadowing. don't waste your time in dental hygenist school if you want to be a dentist!! you'll already be spending enough time in school, so don't worry and just apply. i'm sure you'll be fine. good luck.

well i think thats a mistake my friend...u should just move..y waste more money on these programs..wasting time and money..plus ur gpa is great..just get an excellent DAT score and ul be in awesome shape..money situation should be the last thing on ur mind

I'm from a state with no D-School and will be applying this next cycle to all of the nearest states with D-Schools...I have a 3.55 GPA and will take the DAT in about a month......I can't afford to move out of state to establish residency so....As a back up plan, how would it look if I enrolled in my instate dental hygiene school (its a Bac. Program) AND Masters in Public Health?? What would the ADCOMS think about this combo?

I will have all of my Pre-reqs done (I'm graduating with a Bac. in biology this may)....so If i do it i'll end up with 2 bac. degrees (bio and DH) and a MPH......but my GOAL is dental school in the end....

I'm a guy, and i've read that hygiene is 98.3% women, so I'm trying to get a feel for this before I get the ball rolling lol...

I'm open for any suggestions....thanks...:cool:

Are you saying you can't afford to move out of state to establish residency PRIOR to applying? Why not apply to a DS where you are able to establish residency within a year to qualify for instate tuition?

You control your destiny by the performance on the DAT. There are many of private schools and public schools (become a resident after 1 yr) that will accept you.. Why are you getting all these degrees?

Well, I'm from Arkansas....... Memphis, LSU, UMKC have slots open for Arkansans so I feel that if I stay in Arkansas I will have better chance of showing out bc of the smaller Arkansas applicant pool....

but I'm trying to develop a backup plan because I know a ton of guys who haven't gotten in on their first try....

As far as getting a ton of degree, I am one semester away from my Bac. in biology, so i will finish up with it and then apply to DH/MPH as a back up in case i get rejections.......I figured DH to have the best exposure to the dental profesion and I want to get a MPH at some point regardless of getting a DDS or not bc I want to do public health service....So i was wondering that if I dont get in, will going to DH/MPH look good to better my chances the next go around??

P.S. - you are right that i control my future with the DAT bc I have a ton of shadow hours and even more EC's (even selected by the governor to be on a state board)......but I have historically done average at best on standardized test so I'm preparing for the worste....:thumbdown:

Last edited: