Tell me what you think.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BRP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, First post in the Opt section. I have recently started looking towards optometry, but just wanted to ask you what you all thought. I originally wanted to be a Dental Student, but my grades were not/are not good enough. My overall GPA is 2.90. Obviously, i'd like to get that higher. Here are the rest of my grades

Class Hours Grade

Composition 1 3 B
Public Speaking 3 B
Composition 2 3 B
Personal Health 3 A
History (1877) 3 B

Inter. Algebra 3 A
Biology 1 4 A
Coll. Algebra 3 A
Poly Sci 3 B
Psychology 3 C

Tech and Change 3 B
Biology 2 4 C
Computing 1 3 B
Geography 3 C
Physics 4 F (Retake for C)

Cell Bio 4 C
Gen Chem 1 5 C
Fund Drafting 3 A

Anatomy 1 4 C
Personal Finance 4 A
Spanish 1 3 B

So, im just wondering, where do I sit as to trying to get in? I think I need to get my overall GPA up to about a 3.1 or 3.2?? I have not taken the OAT test yet, but I don't even know if its possible, im just asking for opinions.:oops:

Thanks, Brandon.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have a shot - a lot of students have gotten accepted with under 3.0. just make sure the rest of your application is well-rounded - good extracurriculars, lots of shadowing experience, good LORS, good personal statement and an excellent OAT score! generally a good OAT score can balance a poor gpa.

P.S the OAT is very similar to the DAT - ive written both.

good luck!

Also, I didnt get a good look at your courses, but make sure you have the prereqs for optometry. they can be found at each school's website

Members don't see this ad :)
yah, i'd give it a shot.
you may want to put some more effort into science courses, because I dont see anything much outside of C's and one A in bio.

get some shadowing in to put on your applications to show that you understand what you are getting into.

and definitely try to do well on your OATs , try to aim for something well above average to standout (to show that maybe you didnt do so well in your classes, but you still understand the material well know the material). I say aim high such as 360AA/360TS. and that should put you well into the range of a decent applicant.

Good Luck.

To the OP,
What is you motivation for pursuing optometry as a potential career? Is it a backup to dentistry?

I would volunteer/shadow for an optometrist to see if this is something that you genuinely find interesting. If you end up liking it, great. If not, then you'll have the security of knowing that its not the right career for you.

To the OP,
What is you motivation for pursuing optometry as a potential career? Is it a backup to dentistry?

I would volunteer/shadow for an optometrist to see if this is something that you genuinely find interesting. If you end up liking it, great. If not, then you'll have the security of knowing that its not the right career for you.

Yes, its been my backup for dental for awhile, unfortunately I never 'hoped' to have had to use it. :(

I am going to apply alot of effort for the rest of the semester, and try to pick up an OATS book tomorrow from the library. If I apply myself, I am smart enough to achieve it, I just have to try. Thanks for the kind words and knowing that I still have an (outside?) chance really makes my night. :oops:

goodnight,

BRP

just retake all of your Cs in a quarter/semester. if you do well it'd be worth your while.