Telling the Truth, Part 2...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdoodle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't get into my state school. Disappointed a bit, but not devastated (I didn't like much of what I saw on my interview and the school itself has HUGE administrative problems). I have an interview next week at a private school where I'm told most applicants are asked "Why would you want to come here if you could go to your state school and save a ton of money?" Should I be honest and tell them I didn't get into my state school? (Can they tell that I've been denied by logging onto AADSAS and looking at my profile?) Do you think that would make me seem less desirable as a candidate if even my state school didn't want me? Or should I not mention it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I didn't get into my state school. Disappointed a bit, but not devastated (I didn't like much of what I saw on my interview and the school itself has HUGE administrative problems). I have an interview next week at a private school where I'm told most applicants are asked "Why would you want to come here if you could go to your state school and save a ton of money?" Should I be honest and tell them I didn't get into my state school? (Can they tell that I've been denied by logging onto AADSAS and looking at my profile?) Do you think that would make me seem less desirable as a candidate if even my state school didn't want me? Or should I not mention it?

I think it's fine to tell them that you didn't get into your state school. But don't make that your focal point in your reasoning. You should explain that you weren't as impressed and that you also had issues with the administrative problems. I don't think that you should really probe into the fact that you did not get in though. So be selective about what you have to say, emphasize the other problems, and then, if necessary, admit to not getting in.

If I were in your situation I would go on both school websites and come up with a list of reasons why you like the private school over the state school. Convince the interviewers that you love their school and tell them why you would choose it over the state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell em the truth. I wasn't good enough to get into my state school, so I'm looking to settle for your school. :D

Tell em the truth. I wasn't good enough to get into my state school, so I'm looking to settle for your school. :D

Hahahaha... great advice.

Don't take it. :p

Lie your ass off. Say what ever you need to say to get in. It worked for all my schools, Now I can decide. :)

Lie your ass off. Say what ever you need to say to get in. It worked for all my schools, Now I can decide. :)

Damn, and I thought they would appericiate my genuine candor. DDSMACK > Yellow Snow.