1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Temp Cement

Discussion in 'Dental' started by FreshBreath, Apr 6, 2007.

1. FreshBreath

FreshBreath Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Recently in clinic a pt had a sensitive tooth after a crown prep. One of the instructors suggested cementing the temp crown with dycal becuase that might lessen the sensitivity. I have heard of temp cementing with IRM, but dycal? Has anyone else ever done this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docj1

docj1 Walleye Whacker
    2+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't understand, did the patient leave and come back with sensitivity or were they sensitve immediately after crown prep in which case how long did that prep take? Did the anesthetic wear off?

I never use dycal for anything. IRM is good but the tooth must be cleaned thoroughly before cementing the permanent crown with any resin or resin reinforced cement. I use temp bond, but I use Gluma desensitizer after the prep is done before I cement the temporary. It really reduces post op sensitivity.

4. ivorinedust

ivorinedust Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmm...isn't Dycal supposed to be a mild irritant(to stimulate the pulp to produce secondary dentin)? I don't know how it can sedate the pulp if it were an irritant.

I have not heard of it being used as a luting or cementing agent. Probably won't work. Why? Because Dycal sets instantly when you mix it, giving you no time to bring the temp to the prep and seat it. And in amounts large enough to fill a temp, well, I don't think it is cost effective. Your instructor probably had a senior moment and confused Dycal with a ZOE cement.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

5. HuyetKiem

HuyetKiem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I've used Dycal few times on premolars and lower anterior teeth. It sets really fast in about a min and half. Make sure the prep is dry, isolated and ready to go before mixing the paste.

6. diagnodent

diagnodent Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    you need to seal the tooth with a thin bonding agent

7. dheav005

dheav005 keepin' it movin'
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    dycal would be a bad idea. sets too fast, irritant, not flowable to seal the margins...the list goes one. does your clinic have some tempbond? the eugenol in it usually serves to soothe the angry tooth. as long as you clean the prep throughly before final cementation, it shouldnt be a problem. you could also use duralon with a drop of water for a sitauation that needs stronger retention, as long as you are willing to scrape the prep clean when you take the temp off...

8. OceanDMD

OceanDMD Rather be fishing
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    This sounds ******ed. I dont Have dycal in my office. Its an outdated product, and I cant imagine anyone using it as a temp cement. There are several temp cements that are eugenol based. This chemical is soothing to the pulp. Apply gluma to the preparation and then seal with a temp cement. Rarely will you have sensitivity. This has been my protocal for 6 years.

9. DDS 08

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My clinic director has told us that dycal is all he uses in private practice to cement his temps. I've tried it, but it sets up really fast, ,occasionally too fast. I just use tempbond which I've had good success with.

10. FreshBreath

FreshBreath Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

11. docj1

docj1 Walleye Whacker
    2+ Year Member

Dentist
    By the way I use tempbond NE. The preps are easy to clean prior to permanent cementation. Also after you have removed many old amalgams with dycal under them you won't use it again. It turns into a mush under amalgams after years of use. I base with light cured GI if I need a base which is IMO rare.

12. OceanDMD

OceanDMD Rather be fishing
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    hmmmm. Still sounds ******ed....:p :p :p :D

13. docj1

docj1 Walleye Whacker
    2+ Year Member

Dentist
    I hear the same sounds.:laugh:

14. dheav005

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    why would you use something like dycal when a good temp cement should be readily available? if there is some off label advantage to using it, i cant think of it...and LC GI liner is the stuff to use, esp. in a deep box to avoid shrinkage sensitivity. how is the hold of Tempbond NE? it isnt available at my school clinic, so i use what i got.

15. docj1

docj1 Walleye Whacker
    2+ Year Member

Dentist
    I haven't had any problems with NE. Use what you got while in school. When you are out you will find what you like. Clinical success is the important factor. To be honest I haven't used dycal in over 10 years. I'm suprised that dental schools still use it.

16. SFPredent

SFPredent Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So what is a good temp cement? We usually use Zone, and the temps ALWAYS seem to come out. Has anyone had better luck with other brands?

17. dheav005

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    here in memphis we use tempbond generally, then move to duralon with a drop of water or KY in the mix if retention is a problem (cleanup is less than fun though). past that, we can get fun stuff from some profs (temposil, that new integrity grip stuff, etc) if need be...