Temp. Licensing and Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Larger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a simple question for everyone who probably went through this...

When u apply to residency programs and then match, do you have to apply for a state temp. residency license yourself or do you get issued one by the program?

My concern stems from a juvenile record that I have that is sealed/expunged that should not show up on a program background check or asked in ERAS, but will obviously show up in a licensing background check.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a simple question for everyone who probably went through this...

When u apply to residency programs and then match, do you have to apply for a state temp. residency license yourself or do you get issued one by the program?

My concern stems from a juvenile record that I have that is sealed/expunged that should not show up on a program background check or asked in ERAS, but will obviously show up in a licensing background check.

Thank you

You will initially work under a trainee license, but you will have to fill out a short form for your hospital which might ask about criminal history, lawsuits, etc. You also may need to become fully licensed at some point during residency, to moonlight, sit for boards, etc.

If your problem will show up on ANY background check, you should seriously consider disclosing it as part of your application. Any program with a VA will do an FBI background check on you, and that will show everything. It's unlikely anyone will care about something in your juvi record, so simply put it in your application. If you don't and then it shows up later, you may have a very unhappy program.