Temple, Bad Neigborhood?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfie5884

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Temple interview is scheduled for Nov 30th and I'll be traveling via Greyhound bus. For anyone who's been there, is the neighborhood near Temple really that bad?

What's the best mode of transportation to the school? Do I have to be armed? :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

alfie5884 said:
My Temple interview is scheduled for Nov 30th and I'll be traveling via Greyhound bus. For anyone who's been there, is the neighborhood near Temple really that bad?

What's the best mode of transportation to the school? Do I have to be armed? :laugh: :laugh:

You know I had the exact same concern, but then when I went there I realized that it really wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is. I spoke with several students who all basically said that it's perfectly safe during the day, and at night the girls just don't walk around alone. Really that should apply to any big city no matter where you are. I've lived in the worst neighborhoods in Mexico City and trust me when I say that this place is no where neat that bad. I just think you get a lot of people on these boards that have never lived in the rougher areas of a city or have never lived in a big city at all and they freak out when they go there. One of the guys at my interview actually walked all the way from his hotel in the historical district and nobody bothered him the whole time. The point of all this is that you shouldn't be scared off by all the negative things you hear on SDN about the area around Temple. Someone tried to tell me the same kind of crap about Tufts last year. He said that on his walk to the school he was offered crack 5 times.

alfie5884 said:

I didnt think it was too bad. Yes its in a bad neighborhood, but it wasnt THAT bad. The description of the area gets blown way out of proportion in this forum. Its not any worse than what you would see in any other major city in the US. I wouldnt worry about it...unless you plan on wandering around at night of course!

As for travel, id say just take a taxi. The school is right on broad st, which is a major street in philadephia, so finding the school wont be a problem. By hotel was by city hall and the taxi ride cost me $15-20.

Members don't see this ad :)
come on now. you're from NYC! ;) Philly is just fine. I would sugesst you trying the metro. They have a station very close to the greyhound place. good luck.

donkeywhisperer said:
You know I had the exact same concern, but then when I went there I realized that it really wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is. I spoke with several students who all basically said that it's perfectly safe during the day, and at night the girls just don't walk around alone. Really that should apply to any big city no matter where you are. I've lived in the worst neighborhoods in Mexico City and trust me when I say that this place is no where neat that bad. I just think you get a lot of people on these boards that have never lived in the rougher areas of a city or have never lived in a big city at all and they freak out when they go there. One of the guys at my interview actually walked all the way from his hotel in the historical district and nobody bothered him the whole time. The point of all this is that you shouldn't be scared off by all the negative things you hear on SDN about the area around Temple. Someone tried to tell me the same kind of crap about Tufts last year. He said that on his walk to the school he was offered crack 5 times.

How did you get to Temple?

ramona_k said:
come on now. you're from NYC! ;) Philly is just fine. I would sugesst you trying the metro. They have a station very close to the greyhound place. good luck.

The reason I freaked out is because the people on these boards make Temple out to be this cracked up neighborhood. Maybe it won't be so bad after all. I do live in NYC :laugh:

alfie5884 said:

I thought it was very bad. I walked from the main campus to the medical area in early afternoon, and there were a couple guys in the street came up to me. I don't think it's safe for girls to walk alone even during the day. Well, I have to admit that I've never lived in a bad neighborhood, and I'm very used to jogging alone after sunset. That makes a huge difference like other people said. But you're from NYC! why worry? For me personally, Temple area is the worst I've ever seen. UPenn area is 100 times better.

Catfish said:
I thought it was very bad. I walked from the main campus to the medical area in early afternoon, and there were a couple guys in the street came up to me. I don't think it's safe for girls to walk alone even during the day. Well, I have to admit that I've never lived in a bad neighborhood, and I'm very used to jogging alone after sunset. That makes a huge difference like other people said. But you're from NYC! why worry? For me personally, Temple area is the worst I've ever seen. UPenn area is 100 times better.

Did they offer you crack? :p j/k

Catfish said:

I could see that being kinda scary if someone bothered you on the street. And you are absolutely right that UPenn is in a way nicer area, but everyone I talked to at Temple lived around 10-15 minutes away in really nice neighborhoods. I think you'd still be able to jog after sunset in the area you actually lived in while attending Temple, just don't do laps around the school. Really I think you have the right attitude about it, if that area made you uncomfortable then it's probably not the right school for you, and you might want to eliminate a lot of the other big city schools.
As for how I got to campus, I took a taxi. I would have taken the metro, but the public transit system was on strike at the time. It cost $13 one way.

donkeywhisperer said:
I could see that being kinda scary if someone bothered you on the street. And you are absolutely right that UPenn is in a way nicer area, but everyone I talked to at Temple lived around 10-15 minutes away in really nice neighborhoods. I think you'd still be able to jog after sunset in the area you actually lived in while attending Temple, just don't do laps around the school. Really I think you have the right attitude about it, if that area made you uncomfortable then it's probably not the right school for you, and you might want to eliminate a lot of the other big city schools.
As for how I got to campus, I took a taxi. I would have taken the metro, but the public transit system was on strike at the time. It cost $13 one way.

As a side note, most dental schools are generally situated in or close to neighborhoods that are low-income/ underpriveledged and hence certain stereotypes are brought up. The patient pool is one of the biggest reasons (The dentist I shadowed told me he rejected an acceptance from Farleigh Dickinson Dental back in the 80's and it was a good call as it closed down 2 years later, reason? Lack of a big enough patient pool....it was in a fairly upscale suburban neighborhood). I think as long as you are aware of possible risks and play it safe using common sense, you'll be ok...and this applies to downtown Newark as much as it does to Times square during rush hour. I lived in africa for a good while and the violence/ level of anxiety that you might get shot/ mugged was way higher than anywhere else I've been to in the US.....

alfie5884 said:
Did they offer you crack? :p j/k

I would freak out if they did :D

Look...TEmple is located within an urban centre, and has all the problems/risks you would have at many other dental schools in the US which are also located within urban centres.

Is it a warzone? No
Do you need to be smart (i.e. not walking down a dark alleyway counting a stack of hundred dollar bills)? Yes

If the area really bothers you and you are looking to goto a school in a beautiful suburbian area, its simple...dont come to Temple....goto a school like UCONN

donkeywhisperer said:
Someone tried to tell me the same kind of crap about Tufts last year. He said that on his walk to the school he was offered crack 5 times.

Actually, the only thing I wouldnt believe on that one is that he got offered crack 5 times during one walk...otherwise, its very realistic. Ive gone down to chinatown 3 times to grab a bite. 2 of the times I was walking there, I was offered drugs. Now, did I feel unsafe? Not at all. Just tell the guy that you're straight and keep walking. Tufts is in a fine location. No biggie.