temple interview Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highfly413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've seen in the dental interview experiences that a common question is:

"would you give treatment to a drunk? how would you handle it?

i am just curious as to what the best answer for a question like this is...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do they mean by that? If a drunk person came to their dental appointment? Or just a regular alchoholic?

If the person is an alcoholic why would it matter to the dentist? I don;t get it? What do teeth have to do with drinking?

highfly413 said:
i've seen in the dental interview experiences that a common question is:

"would you give treatment to a drunk? how would you handle it?

i am just curious as to what the best answer for a question like this is...thanks!

they wont ask you that question. although it is still a group interview, the interviewers are no longer students, unlike what you've read in the feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, in the dental interview feedback section for a interview that was conducted only a week ago by a faculty member, that excat question was asked. so i guess they still could pop it. anyway...anyone know what a good answer would be?....and it refers to a drunk person, not an alcolholic. thanks.

Precarious_Yups said:
easy as pie my man,
in dental school you are not trained to treat a person under the influence of alcohol. there are many factors that may play into this... is the person heavily sedated or lightly? is the person a diabetic? does this person have a history of drug/alcohol problems? you cannot treat this unkown enigma of a man simply because you don't have enough info. i would reccomend speaking with this person's primary care physician and ask if there are any known drug interactions between what that person needs (i.e. hydrocodone/APAP 750) and that person's liver condition, other meds, etc etc. simply put, how are you gonna treat a person without knowing whats up with their body?? thats silly, plus its seriously dangerous.

I think it also has to do with "informed consent." If the patient doesn't understand fully due to loss of mental faculties, how can they consent legally to treatment? This is a tough question to answer, it has many facets!