Temple Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyDoc07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm kinda new to the boards so this may be already on here....

I have an interview scheduled at Temple in a few weeks. Basically, I need to ace it because I applied very late and think this is going to be my only interview request. So for those of you who interviewed at Temple, any suggestions?

Thanks all and good luck with all of your applications/interviews/acceptances!!

LadyDoc07

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview scheduled at Temple in a few weeks. Basically, I need to ace it because I applied very late and think this is going to be my only interview request. So for those of you who interviewed at Temple, any suggestions?

LadyDoc07

Contrats on your Temple interview! I applied early and haven't heard a peep from them. So this is definitely a good sign for you. Best of luck! :luck:

LadyDoc07

i havent interviewed at temple specifically, but from my last interview i can say that the advice 'just be yourself' is probably the best advice anyone can give you regarding interviews. relax, dont be uptight, just have a conversation like you're talkin to anyone. it helps a lot. they're just ordinary people, and they really just want to have a conversation.

show them your enthusiasm for medicine by explaining what you've done and how you know it. let your enthusiasm come across. thats just about all i think there is it to it really.

Members don't see this ad :)
General interview advice:

1. Be yourself, as desidr already said.
2. Know your application inside and out. If you have done research, be able to explain what you did, what the goals of the project were, what you got out of it. Think of examples to talk about from your volunteering, work, clinical experiences.
3. Think about (but don't script) answers to the most commonly asked interview questions... "Why medicine?" "Why Temple?" "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" "Tell me about yourself" "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" etc. Also check out Temple interview feedback here: http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/
4. If you have access to a career services / pre med office where you can do a mock interview, these can be very helpful, particularly if you don't have much experience interviewing.
5. Prepare questions to ask your interviewer about the school, and learn about the school so you have good questions to ask.
6. Brush up on current issues in healthcare, major trends, ethical stuff.
7. Reduce stress as much as possible by planning in advance. Do the above things as early as possible. Figure out how you're getting to Temple early, know where you need to go, put the admissions office # in your cell phone, get your suit pressed, etc. Whatever prep you do early, will reduce stress on interview day and make it easier to be yourself and kick some @ss!

A few Temple specific notes:

1. Your interview may or may not be in the building where the admissions office is (mine was in a hospital a few blocks away), but don't let this stress you... The office was good about giving me a map/directions.
2. It seems common for Temple interviewers to not prepare very many questions to ask you, so it is very important for you to have A LOT of good questions to ask them. Otherwise your interview could be very short and not give you much of a chance to show who you are.
3. Temple was a fun place to interview. The students were very enthusiastic. The school is very much devoted to the underserved community where it's located, and students/faculty there seem to enjoy "working in the trenches". They say if there are 3 stages of a disease, you'll see the 4th stage at Temple, and be that much more prepared when you start your residency.
4. The school is more focused on clinical medicine than research, and has tons of volunteer/clinical opportunities for its students.

Best of luck! :luck:

My interview was 20 minutes long, interviewer basically read my file back to me and asked for clarification on one or two things. I think I had about one question to ask, and that was it. Definitely a strange interview, but very low stress, I wouldn't fuss too much about having a monster list of questions to ask, as I certainly didn't and I got accepted despite a very short interview. Interviewers can tell when you're just asking a BS question to take up time, so if you don't really care about the answer, don't ask the question. I doubt they want you wasting their time trying to stretch out an interivew because you thought it was too short.

My interview was 20 minutes long, interviewer basically read my file back to me and asked for clarification on one or two things. I think I had about one question to ask, and that was it. Definitely a strange interview, but very low stress, I wouldn't fuss too much about having a monster list of questions to ask, as I certainly didn't and I got accepted despite a very short interview. Interviewers can tell when you're just asking a BS question to take up time, so if you don't really care about the answer, don't ask the question. I doubt they want you wasting their time trying to stretch out an interivew because you thought it was too short.

Just to clarify, I did say good questions... Obviously you don't want to waste their time if it's BS (and as CT tarheel said, they'll be able to see right through you if it is). Even though I came prepared with a bunch of questions to ask, my interview was only 25-30 minutes or so as well...

For anyone that has interviewed at Temple, is the last scheduled event on interview day lunch (unless your interview is in the afternoon)? I'm trying to figure out a return flight that day and I want to make sure it is late enough I don't miss out on anything. Also, is there anything to do in the afternoon while waiting for your interview?

Thanks!