Temple (OOS) vs Rutgers (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thankyouinadvance

Reaction score
School 1: Rutgers, OOS

PROS:
- Strong clinical experience
- Small class size
- Rigorous didactic classes; help to become a stronger and more well rounded clinician
- Students seemed happier on my visit, more helpful.
- Faculty turnover seems low

CONS:
- Newark is a boring city
- Will classes be too hard D1 and D2 years?

School 2: Temple, OOS

PROS:
- Philadelphia is a much more interesting city, more to do
- Have personal connections in Philadelphia
- Stricter graduation requirements (?)

CONS:
- Unsafe area (I don’t actually care about this too much, just seems to be the thing people say about Temple)
- Large class size
- Several students walked by on tour and said do not come here. Other students looked miserable.

SUMMARY: Cost is a nonfactor for me in making this decision, so please do not give the advice for choosing the cheapest. I understand that this is valuable advice for others, but doesn’t pertain to my situation. I want to attend a school where I will receive the most well-rounded training while also having an exciting life outside of school. Do Rutgers students go to NYC often for fun? Were the students who said don’t go to Temple just bad apples? Lots to think about, I would appreciate any advice (besides choose the cheapest, please).

Members don't see this ad.

PROS:
- Small class size
- Rigorous didactic classes; help to become a stronger and more well rounded clinician

CONS:

PROS:

CONS:
- Unsafe area (I don’t actually care about this too much, just seems to be the thing people say about Temple)
- Large class size
- Several students walked by on tour and said do not come here. Other students looked miserable.

SUMMARY: Cost is a nonfactor for me in making this decision, so please do not give the advice for choosing the cheapest. I understand that this is valuable advice for others, but doesn’t pertain to my situation. I want to attend a school where I will receive the most well-rounded training while also having an exciting life outside of school. Do Rutgers students go to NYC often for fun? Were the students who said don’t go to Temple just bad apples? Lots to think about, I would appreciate any advice (besides choose the cheapest, please).
cheaper...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Newark can give you in state after a year

Newark has been called a lot of things. But boring is one I’ve never heard.

Reactions: 1 users
Newark can give you in state after a year

Newark has been called a lot of things. But boring is one I’ve never heard.
Thank you, reading your advice about Rutgers on other threads has been helpful too. For reference, what did a night out in Newark look like for you?

Revolutionary, thank you!!
lol, you specified we couldn't say "cheapest"

people seemed happy and stress free at rutgers, and miserable and told you not to go to temple
that's called a clue...

people seemed happy and stress free at rutgers, and miserable and told you not to go to temple
that's called a clue...
and please look into how many international dentites each school adds in the second or third year...

Several students walked by on tour and said do not come here. Other students looked miserable.
If cost is not a factor to you, unsolicited student advice is important. Of course, many know to be on their best behavior when admissions tours are ongoing. I'm guessing many of these students valued "things to do in Philadelphia."

Thank you, reading your advice about Rutgers on other threads has been helpful too. For reference, what did a night out in Newark look like for you?
I’d go dancing at some Dominican dive bar. Dinners in Montclair were always nice. Getting drunk in the dorms and watching movies with classmates was always fun too. NY Red Bulls are awesome. NJ Devils is right down the street.

I’d go dancing at some Dominican dive bar. Dinners in Montclair were always nice. Getting drunk in the dorms and watching movies with classmates was always fun too. NY Red Bulls are awesome. NJ Devils is right down the street.
This makes me excited, thank you for sharing. It’s what you make of it truly.

that's called a clue...
Absolutely, and it’s a clue I’m valuing. I just don’t want to weigh that too heavily as there are always going to be people miserable anywhere. The fact that they were miserable and miserable enough to walk by and say do not come here is a red flag, and maybe should be weighed as such. Thank you.
If cost is not a factor to you, unsolicited student advice is important. Of course, many know to be on their best behavior when admissions tours are ongoing. I'm guessing many of these students valued "things to do in Philadelphia."
That’s a great way to put it. It was unsolicited. And happened twice. Thank you for the perspective. Things to do in Philadelphia should be weighed less and the miserable students should be weighed more is the takeaway, lol.

PROS:
- Small class size

CONS:

PROS:

CONS:
- Large class size

I am trying to make the same decision. Me and my sister were accepted into both and don't know which to decide.

I am trying to make the same decision. Me and my sister were accepted into both and don't know which to decide.
Hey! I’ve decided to put my deposit down at Rutgers, and feel assured in my choice. My experience at Rutgers felt way more enjoyable, and I could see myself there for the next 4 years more than Temple. I hope to see your and your sister next fall!

Should distance be a factor? Temple is 30 miles from me while Rutgers is 100 miles. I am an in-state student for Rutgers.

Last edited: