Temple or BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jokerjoe12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have to send temples payment by wednesday. Just wanting to see what other people would choose! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I chose BU. Both are good schools, I perfer Boston over Philly. Among many other reasons, you can look at my other posts on other threads or PM me if you have any questions.

definitely BU...no question

Members don't see this ad :)
DUBS said:
definitely BU...no question

Why is that? I really don't know how BU compares to Temple because I don't know much about the east coast schools. (I'm from the west coast)

Which one is better for specialty? I'm just leaving my door open...

I don't think one is significantly better than the other for specialty, but if you want to specialize you can go on to do so from both schools. These specialize questions are quite silly - unless you are going to Harvard, you are going to have to work very hard to specialize no matter where you decide to go. That is all you need to know.

boree said:
I don't think one is significantly better than the other for specialty, but if you want to specialize you can go on to do so from both schools. These specialize questions are quite silly - unless you are going to Harvard, you are going to have to work very hard to specialize no matter where you decide to go. That is all you need to know.

I agree, and is it me or is everyone that is going into dental school this year want to become and orthodontist or an oral surgeon? Personally I think i want to specialize, but if not, im planning on having many private practices.

I interviewed twice at BU and Temple during the past 2 years. BU looks more upto date with technology but a lot more inorganized and you pay for it! The tuition is more than Temple too. Temple is very organized and their clinic is really impressive.
Also the head of admission at boston was changed a year and half ago. The dean is really too old for the school and I think it's not a very organize school at this moment. The school is very expensive and drop out is fairly high compare to other schools. I remember on the day of my interview there were 20 badges printed for interviewees but only 5 showed up. Also Boston is an expensive place to live in as well. Philly is cheaper with a milder weather and great location if you have a chance it's very close to New York, New Jersey (atlantic City) and Washington D.C.and Temple's tuition is cheaper too. I am sure if you visited Temple you'd see the area around school is not that bad either. So I chose Temple. With the hike of interest rates and government's cut on student loan begining this July, every less dollar you can spend on your dental education makes a difference I believe.
Good luck

benson_dds said:
Also the head of admission at boston was changed a year and half ago. The dean is really too old for the school and I think it's not a very organize school at this moment. The school is very expensive and drop out is fairly high compare to other schools.

The dean is one of the greatest assets to the school. There isnt one faculty member that doesnt praise his effort to improve the school. He may be "old", but he has evolved with time. He is the longest standing dean in the country and there is a reason for that.

As far as drop out rate...where'd you get your numbers from? First off, you dont get kicked out unless you fail everything you touch. If anything, you get asked to repeat the courses that you failed. For instance, my class has 5 or 6 kids from the year above who are re-doing the classes they failed. At least they still have a career lined up and arent booted out. Bottom line, drop out rate is low.

enginerd said:
Why is that? I really don't know how BU compares to Temple because I don't know much about the east coast schools. (I'm from the west coast)

Which one is better for specialty? I'm just leaving my door open...

don't get me wrong. Temple is a great school. I love their friendly student body, faculty, and clinical emphasis. However, two major things turned me off about the school: they're facilites are not nearly up to date as BU's are and 2. if you go there you're pretty much setting urself up for general dentistry. If this is what you want, then I think they are an excellent school. However, if you want to have opportunities to experiment with the various fields in dentistry I highly recommend going to BU over Temple. BU offers their students research opportunities and their APEX program allows you to work with a variety of dentists, possibly the one you may be interested in (e.g. oral and maxillofacial surgery, a periodondist, endodontist, etc.). Temple however, has almost no opportunities for research, and this clearly showed in what they told me during my interview. Congrats on your acceptances and good luck in makin your decision.

Thanks guys for all your input. Its the end of the weekend and I have my decision pretty much set on BU. Temple is also a great school and I'm sure someone out there will be glad I gave them a spot!

Thanks to DUBS and Rezdawg [you have alot of pride for BU, which is good =D] for the input!

Just another thing, in terms of tuition, for most people BU is only $6K more than Temple. I think the extra $6K is a worthy investment for a better campus environment/education since BU is private and Temple is public.

To me, endo or peds look interesting as a possibility for specialty.