Temple Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a couple questions...

1. Is a flight at 5:40 from Philly late enough to be made after the interview?

2. My dad is tagging along (as a bodyguard in philly) because he wants to scope out the area itself. Would it be weird if we are getting there a day early to set up a tour so my dad can check out Temple Dental.... I don't want to bring him on interview day that is just weird... but since my parents are an influencing factor on my decision (and my dad is skeptical about the area)... I wanted him to at least see the school. Does anyone see any harm in touring the day prior to the interview?

Any other tips for my visit let me know... thanks! (Any nice places to eat, things to do, etc...)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

5:40 is fine.

2. My dad is tagging along (as a bodyguard in philly) because he wants to scope out the area itself. Would it be weird if we are getting there a day early to set up a tour so my dad can check out Temple Dental.... I don't want to bring him on interview day that is just weird... but since my parents are an influencing factor on my decision (and my dad is skeptical about the area)... I wanted him to at least see the school. Does anyone see any harm in touring the day prior to the interview?

I don't now if Temple will give you guys an extra tour the day before but i'm sure you can walk around the area by yourselves. There's plenty of students/doctors/etc walking around during the day so you'll see that it's fine. The dental/pharmacy/med school/hospital are all within 2,3 blocks on Broad Street. At night, the area is well lit. You'll see. Just use your head and don't go wondering around.

Any other tips for my visit let me know... thanks! (Any nice places to eat, things to do, etc...)

You should see if you can get a tour of Temple undergrad, which is about a 6 minute drive down Broad Street (go south) or 5 minute train ride. I heard some students go down there to study. Theres also things to do (coffee shops/bars/etc.). Philly is actually a pretty fun, but safe city if you know where to go. Check out center city/rittenhouse square/olde city (lots of bars/clubs). Manayunk is another place students go to drink and have fun. Get a cheeseteak in South philly. it's on 9th and passyunk. You'll see Pat's or Geno's. I prefer Pat's but Geno's is alright. Chinatown is also not too far away from the dent school. In fact, from the undergrad it's only about a 8 minute drive. it's accessible by train also. You can get amazing chinese/viet/malaysian food there for a great price. If you like skiing/snowboarding, the pocono mountains are within 1.5-2 hours.

Last edited:
Hi all,

5:40 is fine.

I don't now if Temple will give you guys an extra tour the day before but i'm sure you can walk around the area by yourselves. There's plenty of students/doctors/etc walking around during the day so you'll see that it's fine. The dental/pharmacy/med school/hospital are all within 2,3 blocks on Broad Street. At night, the area is well lit. You'll see. Just use your head and don't go wondering around.

You should see if you can get a tour of Temple undergrad, which is about a 6 minute drive down Broad Street (go south) or 5 minute train ride. I heard some students go down there to study. Theres also things to do (coffee shops/bars/etc.). Philly is actually a pretty fun, but safe city if you know where to go. Check out center city/rittenhouse square/olde city (lots of bars/clubs). Manayunk is another place students go to drink and have fun. Get a cheeseteak in South philly. it's on 9th and passyunk. You'll see Pat's or Geno's. I prefer Pat's but Geno's is alright. Chinatown is also not too far away from the dent school. In fact, from the undergrad it's only about a 8 minute drive. it's accessible by train also. You can get amazing chinese/viet/malaysian food there for a great price. If you like skiing/snowboarding, the pocono mountains are within 1.5-2 hours.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm beginning to feel like my hesitation about hte safety is a lot like my hesitation about attending a school in washington, DC. But, I soon found out its not asbad as poeople make it out to be... as long as you're not silly and just wandering around alone.

I can't wait!

dent2009 covered everything really well. good luck with your interview!