Temple Univ. Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone who used their AMCAS app been marked complete yet? My payment was verified Jan. 27th and I emailed them several times and was told they were waiting for AMACAs.

Same. Emailed them today after finding out that they don't answer phones. No response, but I literately paid on the same day and so far I have yet to receive an "application complete" email

Same. Emailed them today after finding out that they don't answer phones. No response, but I literately paid on the same day and so far I have yet to receive an "application complete" email

When did you submit all your stuff?...I submitted my materials this weekend so I am just going to assume it may take a week or two for my application to be complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, guys.

I switched from pre-med to pre-dental after my sophomore year because I told myself my GPA is nowhere near competitive for medical school. I'm currently studying for the DAT and all my recommendations for my school's health committee are for dental school.

And then, I came across this program quite unexpectedly. Saw the average SGPA, no MCAT requirement, and linkage to Temple Medical School. Thought it was too good to be true. I feel guilty for saying this but my desire to get into medical school reignited. So I decided if I don't do too well on the DAT (this is my second attempt. Received a 19 AA, which is quite mediocre) I should apply to this program. I'm already exhausted from all the studying for the DAT and I doubt I'd be able to spend more time studying for yet another standardized exam. So I'm probably not going to apply in the traditional way with MCAT.

So, please, help me out here, and evaluate my stats. I want to know if I'd be able to apply without getting laughed at by the admissions faculty lol... It'd be nice to know if anyone knows the average SAT scores of the admitted students, too. I couldn't find anything on the website.

3.25 GPA
3.21 BCPM (I still have 2 semesters left to better my GPA. Or worsen... Hopefully not)
2250 SAT; 1540 Verbal+Math (740 V 800 M)

I don't have any hospital-related volunteer/shadowing experiences, only dental shadowing (120+ hours). I should get on that, right? What kind of experiences should I gain prior to applying?

Thanks, guys. I know it's long T.T

Bad news for those of us who struggled to squeeze everything into the 800 character limit...could've added some valuable paragraphs

=/
All my other paragraphs are under 800 characters (without space). The first essay response regarding what special interest ... is over 800 characters. I don't think it matters. If you're able to squeeze everything in 800 characters, you must be really good at being concise. More paragraphs can be more harm than good.

Hi, guys.

I switched from pre-med to pre-dental after my sophomore year because I told myself my GPA is nowhere near competitive for medical school. I'm currently studying for the DAT and all my recommendations for my school's health committee are for dental school.

And then, I came across this program quite unexpectedly. Saw the average SGPA, no MCAT requirement, and linkage to Temple Medical School. Thought it was too good to be true. I feel guilty for saying this but my desire to get into medical school reignited. So I decided if I don't do too well on the DAT (this is my second attempt. Received a 19 AA, which is quite mediocre) I should apply to this program. I'm already exhausted from all the studying for the DAT and I doubt I'd be able to spend more time studying for yet another standardized exam. So I'm probably not going to apply in the traditional way with MCAT.

So, please, help me out here, and evaluate my stats. I want to know if I'd be able to apply without getting laughed at by the admissions faculty lol... It'd be nice to know if anyone knows the average SAT scores of the admitted students, too. I couldn't find anything on the website.

3.25 GPA
3.21 BCPM (I still have 2 semesters left to better my GPA. Or worsen... Hopefully not)

I don't have any hospital-related volunteer/shadowing experiences, only dental shadowing (120+ hours). I should get on that, right? What kind of experiences should I gain prior to applying?

Hello there,
I don't think anyone here is able to tell you about your stats. We are all in the same boat one way or another. My best suggestion is just apply. Do your best on the application and let the admission committee decide whether they want to accept you. We are just here as supporters throughout the application/interview process.

Reactions: 2 users
I chose Temple U. Hospital + Affiliates

Same!
My application is not completed yet. Essay submitted, fee paid, waiting on letter of recommendation .____.

Good luck on your interview next week! That is awesome news!

Reactions: 1 user
When did you submit all your stuff?...I submitted my materials this weekend so I am just going to assume it may take a week or two for my application to be complete.

When I last e-mail admission committee, they said they manually enter the information. It is usually entered by the end of that week. I hope this helps.

That's strange. I submitted my application last Sunday, Feb 15, paid that day. I got an e-mail that my application is received and fee paid on February 16. I am still in the process of submitting my materials, so it is not marked completed yet. Are you referring to the completed application e-mail after you upload all the materials?

^^ thank you for that! a small glimmer of hope that my stupidity didn't shoot my foot! lol

You are welcome! I don't think its stupid. When I read that comment where you thought it was 800 words, that really cracked me up. Thank you for the humor! Let's just hope for the best!

Hi, guys.

3.25 GPA

You should apply this year if you want, but you will probably run into trouble until you get med school-aimed LORs and do some sort of activity that shows that you want to go to med school and not dental school. You need a medical activity because there are a lot of applicants (more than there are spaces in the program) with similar or higher GPAs than you who have shown a consistent commitment to the medical field, so you want to give the admissions committee a reason to select you over them. Take your time to figure things out. Good luck with your last semesters and with med/dental school admissions!

Anyone know how long it takes for application to be completed? I sent in everything last week and I under the assumption that it will probably take another week. Am I correct here?....I feel like I am applying to this program late already lol, no idea they started doing interviews already.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long it takes for application to be completed? I sent in everything last week and I under the assumption that it will probably take another week. Am I correct here?....I feel like I am applying to this program late already lol, no idea they started doing interviews already.
Yeah I would say give it another week. I don't think you are late lol, ACMS interviews start in May according to their website, but it seems 2 people were able to get spots for the BCMS date in February. I've been complete for a while, haven't heard anything yet haha but apparently it's rolling admissions.

I e-mailed Temple Admissions. They said this (exact words):

The 800 character limit is a guideline, so don't worry too much about it. Just write enough to give us a good picture of you as an applicant, while remaining succinct.

Therefore, it does not matter whether if its with or without space. It just matters of the content! YAY!

I did the same exact thing as benjaminl1nus and thought it was an 800 word limit...I just submitted it the past weekend. I just emailed them asking if I could send them rewrites. Even though 800 characters is a guideline, the difference between 800 characters and 3875 charcters (my longest response) is probably too much for them to want to read..

Hopefully if I don't get accepted to this program, I can get accepted into a medical school this cycle. I'm honestly not sure with my stats (cGPA ~3.7, sGPA ~3.5; taking three science classes this semester; MCAT 33 ). Probably average ECs, decent LORs. Would getting a job as an ER scribe be a decent gap year, along with some volunteering? I really want to get into this program..still feeling like an idiot that I made such a huge mistake.

Last edited:
Is anyone who submitted everything in early January and applied using AMCAS in early January marked as having received everything on the website? I received the complete email, but it still says that my rec letters and MCAT score haven't been received yet.

I did the same exact thing as benjaminl1nus and thought it was an 800 word limit...I just submitted it the past weekend. I just emailed them asking if I could send them rewrites. Even though 800 characters is a guideline, the difference between 800 characters and 3875 charcters (my longest response) is probably too much for them to want to read..

Hopefully if I don't get accepted to this program, I can get accepted into a medical school this cycle. I'm honestly not sure with my stats (cGPA 3.68, sGPA 3.46; taking three science classes this semester; MCAT 33 (PS 9, VR 13, BS 11)). Probably average ECs (some EMT, volunteer, some shadowing, part-time job at a diabetes clinic, tutoring), decent LORs. Would getting a job as an ER scribe be a decent gap year, along with some volunteering? I really want to get into this program..still feeling like an idiot that I made such a huge mistake.

I understand. It's a horrible feeling, but I don't think it matters. Just as long as your responses remain succinct. Don't think too much. What's done is done. You submitted it. Leave it up to them to decide. Your scores are perfect. I wish I have your stats. My MCAT is below the 30 criteria and its the biggest hole in my application so I am hoping they don't pay too much attention to it. I'm still waiting on one more letter of recommendation before its considered complete. I was an ER scribe, loved it, but the pay wasn't great.

Is anyone who submitted everything in early January and applied using AMCAS in early January marked as having received everything on the website? I received the complete email, but it still says that my rec letters and MCAT score haven't been received yet.

Send them a follow up e-mail. They enter the information manually so it might take time.

I used my AMCAS app and it has been almost a month since I paid the app fee. About two weeks ago I emailed asking why my letters and everything else showed up as being received, but my MCAT was not. They replied saying they were waiting for AMCAS. I haven't gotten a complete email. I don't know if I should email again or not.

I understand. It's a horrible feeling, but I don't think it matters. Just as long as your responses remain succinct. Don't think too much. What's done is done. You submitted it. Leave it up to them to decide. Your scores are perfect. I wish I have your stats. My MCAT is below the 30 criteria and its the biggest hole in my application so I am hoping they don't pay too much attention to it. I'm still waiting on one more letter of recommendation before its considered complete. I was an ER scribe, loved it, but the pay wasn't great.

Yeah, I think it's better to just let it go and not rewrite everything. I think I am putting too much hope into a program that accepts <4% applicants.

A couple of us who used our AMCAS info also have this issue (look back a few posts), but I doubt it means anything. If Temple says you are complete, I would take it as such and let them do their thing - at least that's what I am doing!

-edit: @paradoctor1 - just saw that you are the same one who posted this earlier - my bad!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I posted about it before, I just wanted to see if anyone had any updates. I think you're right though

Yeah, I think it's better to just let it go and not rewrite everything. I think I am putting too much hope into a program that accepts <4% applicants.

That 4% calculated was based on number of spots and # of applicants. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. The best you can do is do your best to represent who you are on the application, submit it, and send them all supporting materials before the deadline. Everything else, just leave it up to them without any expectations. The more you expect, the more negative you will get. It is a good mentality to have to stay positive and knowing that you did your best. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
That 4% calculated was based on number of spots and # of applicants. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. The best you can do is do your best to represent who you are on the application, submit it, and send them all supporting materials before the deadline. Everything else, just leave it up to them without any expectations. The more you expect, the more negative you will get. It is a good mentality to have to stay positive and knowing that you did your best. I hope this helps.

Yeah :) I think it was just disappointing that I worked so hard on my essays only to find out I misread one of the instructions. But I'm really happy and relieved that I've finally submitted my application. And now I have a good PS that I can use for my AMCAS application!

Reactions: 1 users
The applications says.. "Please list any advance placement courses that you have taken:"

Is everyone listing EVERY AP class taken or just the ones that are listed on your college transcript?

I'm pretty sure it means all because they would already be aware of the AP courses listed on your transcript.

I also put down all AP courses I've taken, not just those that are on my transcript.

I hope the interviews went well for BCMS applicants (and the two lucky ACMS applicants haha)! Hopefully now we will begin hearing back regarding the status of our applications. Fingers crossed!

Has Temple finished reviewing BCMS applicants? When I called a few days ago, they told me that they just started reviewing on Wednesday last week, but I was wondering if anyone has additional information!

Has anyone interviewed for the BCMS? What questions did they ask you?

For the resume that they ask for, can I turn in my word doc that I've prepared for listing my honors/ECs/awards etc for the AMCAS (700 characters per description)? Or should this be a traditional resume style (briefer descriptions) document?

For the resume that they ask for, can I turn in my word doc that I've prepared for listing my honors/ECs/awards etc for the AMCAS (700 characters per description)? Or should this be a traditional resume style (briefer descriptions) document?

I sent a CV.

Wow, this is comforting to me - I thought someone said previously that they were going to finish interviewing for BCMS in February.

I got my MCAT score just a few weeks ago and was wondering if that would hurt me.
Sorry, that might've been me! I thought they were done with BCMS, because according to their website, February was supposed to be the final BCMS interview day, but seems that they might've changed their minds?

Also, are you applying to BCMS? If you've taken the MCAT, you've taken the pre-reqs for med schools and so I think you should be applying to ACMS. From what I understand BCMS is for those who haven't taken the necessary science classes (like career changers, etc).

Also, are you applying to BCMS? If you've taken the MCAT, you've taken the pre-reqs for med schools and so I think you should be applying to ACMS. From what I understand BCMS is for those who haven't taken the necessary science classes (like career changers, etc).

My mistake, I did apply to ACMS - but had to double check. Thanks for looking out.

Since they held an interview date in late Feb, I guess the next interview date would be late March? The dates on their website are clearly off.

Just an FYI to all the BCMS applicants- don't pay attention to what the website says about interview dates. Temple just started reviewing BCMS applicants last week and there's still quite a few interview dates coming up! (Just called them today because I got sick of wondering, haha)

Submitted my ACMS application this past weekend. GPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.88, MCAT 30 (11P, 08V, 11B). Hoping for some good news!

Did anyone else applying for BCMS get invited to interview by phone? I know a few others who didn't and I keep hoping that's a good omen, but from what I read Temple sometimes leads interviewees to think their odds are better than they really are. In a way the good accepted/interviewed ratio is making me even more nervous :confused:

Submitted my ACMS application this past weekend. GPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.88, MCAT 30 (11P, 08V, 11B). Hoping for some good news!

If you don't mind sharing, what are your extracurriculars/clinical experience?

Did anyone else applying for BCMS get invited to interview by phone? I know a few others who didn't and I keep hoping that's a good omen, but from what I read Temple sometimes leads interviewees to think their odds are better than they really are. In a way the good accepted/interviewed ratio is making me even more nervous :confused:
Are you saying that you were invited to a phone interview or that you were invited by phone to interview?

If you don't mind sharing, what are your extracurriculars/clinical experience?

Of course!

-6 Years Summer Mission Work through my Church (a week every summer; building things like wheelchair ramps, stairs, porches, etc...)
-Last 3 years working at my University Information Desk (12 hours a week)
-Volunteering on campus through an organization for various annual events (50+ hours combined; including fundraising walks/runs, toy drives, food drives, and events for the surrounding community)
-Shadowing Experience (40 hours or so)
-Executive Board Member for a University organization (active in planning campus blood drives, campus food drives, fundraisers, and medical clinic trips to underdeveloped countries; 50+ hours)
-Research in the ED of a local University Hospital (about 50 hours to date)
-Run weekly trivia night on campus (50+ hours)
-Intramural softball

Outside the University I have held a few positions in the food service industry.

This is so strange... they've already given interviews to 2 ACMS students, but are still offering BCMS interviews?? Ahhh Temple, forever playing with our hearts :( lol

This is so strange... they've already given interviews to 2 ACMS students, but are still offering BCMS interviews?? Ahhh Temple, forever playing with our hearts :( lol
I would guess that they're only about halfway through BCMS.

How long does it take for materials received to show up? I submitted yesterday. I gave admissions permission to view my AMCAS app after I was rejected from the MD program.

Also, is March late in the game? I'm worried about it being rolling admissions.

Also, is March late in the game? I'm worried about it being rolling admissions.
Nah, if you look deep enough in this thread there are people that applied in May-ish and got accepted after a June interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Just applied to this program. Hoping for some good news even though I applied super late!