Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
So its around time to choose which college to go to and I just wanted to hear some opinions on which one you think would be better for me.

I got into Temple's pre-pharmacy program where I am planning to take a chemistry major if I do attend there. At Temple I would have to take the PCAT and apply for pharmacy school.

I also got accepted into the University of the Sciences of Philadelphia's pharmacy program. The good thing about this is that I don't have to take PCAT and automatically am in pharmacy school.

Since USP has a pharmacy program, it seems like it would be easier to go there, but the thing is that I have heard some displeasing things about the school. I just wanted to know if the pharmacy program is any good. As for Temple's pre-pharmacy program, I heard it is a good program and well prepares you but studying for PCATs are the worse. So any thoughts?

kidkay

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
First, congrats on both! What things have you heard about USP? I recently went to an open house at USP, aside from the small campus, I liked what they had to offer. I believe their pharmacy program is the oldest program in the nation, so I guess one could say their well-established. I am not sure if that is one of your considerations in choosing a program.

I also got accepted into the University of the Sciences of Philadelphia's pharmacy program. The good thing about this is that I don't have to take PCAT and automatically am in pharmacy school.

Since USP has a pharmacy program, it seems like it would be easier to go there, but the thing is that I have heard some displeasing things about the school. I just wanted to know if the pharmacy program is any good. As for Temple's pre-pharmacy program, I heard it is a good program and well prepares you but studying for PCATs are the worse. So any thoughts?

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Please search for older posts on USP and my replies on it.
I have said all I wanted to say about the school. The newer the posts, the more accurate my opinion of the school.

I think 0-6 is a good option. They are just doing some "displeasing" things with the new curriculum. Who knows, maybe it'll change when you're far along in the program. I know it's pretty competitive to get into Temple's program after 2 years of prereqs, though people have done it.

If you need any information, don't hesitate to PM me.

sunniexdayzz

7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I go to Temple and on the Pre-Pharmacy track there. I'm in the honors program and have a solid 3.7 gpa. The advisors at Temple are all unhelpful and have screwed into an extra year of pre-pharmacy. I got into USP and should have gone there. The only drawback of USP is that is costs more money and is a harder curriculum. Temple is cheaper, but if I could go back I would have gone to USP. I'm looking into to transferring there for the professional phase.

Feb 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I agree....I was in the pre-pharmacy track at temple (honors too!) as well, and if it werent for my own planning and search for answers I would be in my 3rd year as well. I was accepted into USP as well, its just I wasnt pleased with the curriculum and small campus- I've heard their program is more challenging, but you get what you pay for :) they have the most connections when it comes to drug corps....

I go to Temple and on the Pre-Pharmacy track there. I'm in the honors program and have a solid 3.7 gpa. The advisors at Temple are all unhelpful and have screwed into an extra year of pre-pharmacy. I got into USP and should have gone there. The only drawback of USP is that is costs more money and is a harder curriculum. Temple is cheaper, but if I could go back I would have gone to USP. I'm looking into to transferring there for the professional phase.

Nov 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
if you can afford it definitely go to USP
as long as you get decent grades you will not have anything to worry about.
studying for the PCATs is a pain