Temple University or USP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnnylin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So its around time to choose which college to go to and I just wanted to hear some opinions on which one you think would be better for me.

I got into Temple's pre-pharmacy program where I am planning to take a chemistry major if I do attend there. At Temple I would have to take the PCAT and apply for pharmacy school.

I also got accepted into the University of the Sciences of Philadelphia's pharmacy program. The good thing about this is that I don't have to take PCAT and automatically am in pharmacy school.

Since USP has a pharmacy program, it seems like it would be easier to go there, but the thing is that I have heard some displeasing things about the school. I just wanted to know if the pharmacy program is any good. As for Temple's pre-pharmacy program, I heard it is a good program and well prepares you but studying for PCATs are the worse. So any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

First, congrats on both! What things have you heard about USP? I recently went to an open house at USP, aside from the small campus, I liked what they had to offer. I believe their pharmacy program is the oldest program in the nation, so I guess one could say their well-established. I am not sure if that is one of your considerations in choosing a program.

I also got accepted into the University of the Sciences of Philadelphia's pharmacy program. The good thing about this is that I don't have to take PCAT and automatically am in pharmacy school.

Since USP has a pharmacy program, it seems like it would be easier to go there, but the thing is that I have heard some displeasing things about the school. I just wanted to know if the pharmacy program is any good. As for Temple's pre-pharmacy program, I heard it is a good program and well prepares you but studying for PCATs are the worse. So any thoughts?

Please search for older posts on USP and my replies on it.
I have said all I wanted to say about the school. The newer the posts, the more accurate my opinion of the school.

I think 0-6 is a good option. They are just doing some "displeasing" things with the new curriculum. Who knows, maybe it'll change when you're far along in the program. I know it's pretty competitive to get into Temple's program after 2 years of prereqs, though people have done it.

If you need any information, don't hesitate to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Temple and on the Pre-Pharmacy track there. I'm in the honors program and have a solid 3.7 gpa. The advisors at Temple are all unhelpful and have screwed into an extra year of pre-pharmacy. I got into USP and should have gone there. The only drawback of USP is that is costs more money and is a harder curriculum. Temple is cheaper, but if I could go back I would have gone to USP. I'm looking into to transferring there for the professional phase.

I agree....I was in the pre-pharmacy track at temple (honors too!) as well, and if it werent for my own planning and search for answers I would be in my 3rd year as well. I was accepted into USP as well, its just I wasnt pleased with the curriculum and small campus- I've heard their program is more challenging, but you get what you pay for :) they have the most connections when it comes to drug corps....

I go to Temple and on the Pre-Pharmacy track there. I'm in the honors program and have a solid 3.7 gpa. The advisors at Temple are all unhelpful and have screwed into an extra year of pre-pharmacy. I got into USP and should have gone there. The only drawback of USP is that is costs more money and is a harder curriculum. Temple is cheaper, but if I could go back I would have gone to USP. I'm looking into to transferring there for the professional phase.

if you can afford it definitely go to USP
as long as you get decent grades you will not have anything to worry about.
studying for the PCATs is a pain