Temple vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temple vs. BU - Class of 2016

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoonosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to make a comparison thread, but with one week to go before May 15th I would like some insight. I was accepted to several schools and have narrowed it down to Temple and BU. If finances were not a problem, I would choose BU hands down. However, BU costs an average of -20k more per year. Here's my pros and cons list:

Temple

Pros:
  • IS tuition with scholarship: COA ~50-55k/year
  • Close to friends and family
  • Good reputation around Philadelphia
  • Collaborative student body

Cons:
  • H/P/F (uncurved - 92 = H)
  • No good housing options near campus
  • Sketchy area!

Boston University

Pros:
  • P/F
  • Brand new residence hall for the first year (subsidized)
  • Great hospital system
  • WONDERFUL student body!
  • Close to one of my siblings and a few friends
  • Better research opportunities

Cons:
  • SUPER EXPENSIVE! COA ~70-75k/year
  • After the first year the housing costs jump!

Both hospitals are community safety net hospitals (especially Temple) and will provide excellent clinical training. BU has the edge in research and rankings (31 vs 47). Is it worth the extra 80k to go to BU because it's a better "fit" for me?

FWIW, I'm also on several waitlists. BU would cost me $1000 to decline after May 15th, while Temple would only cost $100. I would choose any of my current waitlist options over Temple, but it'd be a tough choice vs. BU.

Members don't see this ad.

What makes you say BU is a better 'fit' for you/you'll be happier there? 80K is a lot of money, man. Even if I wasn't a TUSM student (and very happy here), I'd tell you to come to Temple.

I didn't want to make a comparison thread, but with one week to go before May 15th I would like some insight. I was accepted to several schools and have narrowed it down to Temple and BU. If finances were not a problem, I would choose BU hands down. However, BU costs an average of -20k more per year. Here's my pros and cons list:

Temple

Pros:
  • IS tuition with scholarship: COA ~50-55k/year
  • Close to friends and family
  • Good reputation around Philadelphia
  • Collaborative student body

Cons:
  • H/P/F (uncurved - 92 = H)
  • No good housing options near campus
  • Sketchy area!

Boston University

Pros:
  • P/F
  • Brand new residence hall for the first year (subsidized)
  • Great hospital system
  • WONDERFUL student body!
  • Close to one of my siblings and a few friends
  • Better research opportunities

Cons:
  • SUPER EXPENSIVE! COA ~70-75k/year
  • After the first year the housing costs jump!

Both hospitals are community safety net hospitals (especially Temple) and will provide excellent clinical training. BU has the edge in research and rankings (31 vs 47). Is it worth the extra 80k to go to BU because it's a better "fit" for me?

FWIW, I'm also on several waitlists. BU would cost me $1000 to decline after May 15th, while Temple would only cost $100. I would choose any of my current waitlist options over Temple, but it'd be a tough choice vs. BU.

My opinion from what you stated.
You should tell BU:

Shut-Up-and-Take-My-money-530x298.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I know 70k is a ton of money, but if it makes you significantly happier it is worth it. It's not like we are talking full ride. You will flourish the most where you are happiest. 55k a year to be unhappy sounds like an awful way to rack up 220k in loans.

Last edited:
Oops, lagged messed up my vote.

Go where you will be happiest if money isn't a big factor.

Aww, how do I revote?

It's not that I will be unhappy at Temple - it's just that I feel as though I connected really well with all of the prospective BU students at the Open House. The Temple Second Look was fun too, but I was just blown away by the presentation at BU. Also, I kind of want to explore a new city versus living in North Philadelphia, and I like that BU offers a housing option for the first year.

The H/P/F grading scheme at Temple also makes me nervous because there's additional stress to honor. I'm the type of student that would push myself to honor, and I'd prefer to just have a pass/fail system!

The H/P/F grading scheme at Temple also makes me nervous because there's additional stress to honor. I'm the type of student that would push myself to honor, and I'd prefer to just have a pass/fail system!

Unless BU is true P/F (which I don't remember it being), you will still be ranked based on your grades. Personally, I don't think there's a big difference between H/P/F and P/F that still has ranking.

I vote for Temple because 80k is a lot of money, and I feel like both schools provide similar opportunities.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either.

I sure would like your seat at Temple if you end up choosing BU. ;)

But seriously, it's important to do well wherever you go. If it were me I'd choose the school that I think I would perform the best at and be most happy. From your posts, it looks obvious that you'd be more happy at BU. But the price tag difference is definitely appreciable so I completely understand your concerns and wish you the best in your decision!

You can't go wrong with either school. Good luck and congrats on having a choice!

Unless BU is true P/F (which I don't remember it being), you will still be ranked based on your grades. Personally, I don't think there's a big difference between H/P/F and P/F that still has ranking.

I vote for Temple because 80k is a lot of money, and I feel like both schools provide similar opportunities.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either.

It is a true P/F.

Status
Not open for further replies.