Temple vs. Marquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamboozled

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was accepted to Temple this past December, but I got a letter stating that I was put on the alternate list for Marquette. I've never even interviewed there, so I'm not sure what it's like. Anyway, they want a $1,000 deposit to remain on the alternate list (refundable, if I don't get in). Anyway, I was wanting input from anyone that knows about both schools. Is it worth it to put down a deposit, or should I just stick with Temple?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Marquette is a great school. I interviewed there last year, and went back out for a second visit in February. The school itself is beautiful and I felt like I would have a comfortable experience there as a student. The students I met with left me with a favorable impression of the school environment.

As it turns out I will probably be attending that other school in Philadelphia. Maybe putting the deposit down at Marquette might not be such a bad idea.

Hey everyone!

I was accepted to Temple this past December, but I got a letter stating that I was put on the alternate list for Marquette. I've never even interviewed there, so I'm not sure what it's like. Anyway, they want a $1,000 deposit to remain on the alternate list (refundable, if I don't get in). Anyway, I was wanting input from anyone that knows about both schools. Is it worth it to put down a deposit, or should I just stick with Temple?

Start getting your stuff together for Temple. Find some good housing, maybe a roommate if you choose to do so, get your FASFA out for Temple, and get a physical and get your health records up to date.. The sooner you get started on this stuff, the better off you will be. I also got the letter from Marquette - and I will not be putting myself on the alternate list. I have been to both schools, and much prefer Temple's program. I do not feel that Marquette is on par with Temple's clinical education, and I also really liked Philadelphia. It is a great town with over 80 collleges and universities, so it has a very large student presence with lots to do, and great food. I would rather keep the spot on Marquette's list open for someone else.

Did you put down your 2nd deposit for Temple?

Members don't see this ad :)
Start getting your stuff together for Temple. Find some good housing, maybe a roommate if you choose to do so, get your FASFA out for Temple, and get a physical and get your health records up to date.. The sooner you get started on this stuff, the better off you will be. I also got the letter from Marquette - and I will not be putting myself on the alternate list. I have been to both schools, and much prefer Temple's program. I do not feel that Marquette is on par with Temple's clinical education, and I also really liked Philadelphia. It is a great town with over 80 collleges and universities, so it has a very large student presence with lots to do, and great food. I would rather keep the spot on Marquette's list open for someone else.

Did you put down your 2nd deposit for Temple?

MUSOD if anything has a strong clinical curriculum. Taking X-Rays, assisting, screening and have tons of opportunities to do community caries assesments, and sealants all in your first year. Summer of first year we have rotations to sattalite clinics, AIDS clinics and will be doing recall prophies all summer ect. I am already very comfortable in clinic and am looking forward to my D2 year where I can start doing some opperative. My impression from the dentists I know(marquette graduates and not) is that the clinical experience available from MUSOD will allow one to hit the ground running. I am sure temple is a great clinical school as well, just had to throw my $0.02 in.

To the OP I am pretty sure that if you send in that deposit you will probably be getting it back. I don't think anyone really gets in off that alternate list. God luck with temple.

Yes, I did send in my 2nd deposit for Temple, did the FAFSA, and I'm actually working on getting my physical done as well. Basically, I've been doing everything to get ready for Temple, and I probably will be doing so since this is just the alternate list and chances are I won't get picked up. I was just wondering whether or not it was worth the hassle.

I liked Temple when I interviewed there, but I do have safety concerns (or maybe I'm just a wuss). Plus, I like the small class size of Marquette. Then again, I love the crazy amount of clinical experience that Temple had to offer. I mean, I could always send the $1000 back and not really lose anything, but I don't want to do that all for nothing in the rare chance that I do get picked off the list and decide not to go.

Oh well... I guess I could mull it over this weekend. :(

They want a deposit and you've never even interviewed there? Sounds like a money scam to me! Be careful... 1000 bucks is a lot! Just go to Temple.

I think it's in poor taste to ask for a deposit without offering a seat. If I were in your shoes I would go to Temple.

They don't even cash your check that you send in. It happened to me my first year applying, I was not offered a seat, and they sent me a letter with the actual check that I wrote to them. They just want you to give them a check so that if you do get called and offered a spot, your check will already be in their hands and they can cash it to make sure your confirmed for that spot. It's not a scam, its just the way they do it.

Hi,

I am going to Temple and I understand your safety concerns.

I have grown up in the Philadelphia area so I have heard about the problems for years, however if you are conscious of what is going on, and smart about how you handle yourself you will be fine.

As a woman... safety is a huge concern with me, but I 1 am not living in the vicinity of the actual school (I will be in center city), 2 plan on not walking to my car at night by myself, and 3 plan on being well acquainted with my surrounding area. Plan on using the buddy system...and if you are there at night they have campus safety. Its about using your head. I wouldn't worry about safety too much is you are careful, Temple knows about the concerns and the safety of their students are very important to them.

Temple is a great school, with a great clinical program. Growing up in the area, I have seen 1st hand the graduates of the programs (medical, dental... etc)... and there are reasons why people who graduated from that other school in Philly told me to go to Temple over that other school (not that that school is bad obviously). :)

Good luck with everything, hope to see you in my class this august!

Hi,

I am going to Temple and I understand your safety concerns.

I have grown up in the Philadelphia area so I have heard about the problems for years, however if you are conscious of what is going on, and smart about how you handle yourself you will be fine.

As a woman... safety is a huge concern with me, but I 1 am not living in the vicinity of the actual school (I will be in center city), 2 plan on not walking to my car at night by myself, and 3 plan on being well acquainted with my surrounding area. Plan on using the buddy system...and if you are there at night they have campus safety. Its about using your head. I wouldn't worry about safety too much is you are careful, Temple knows about the concerns and the safety of their students are very important to them.

Temple is a great school, with a great clinical program. Growing up in the area, I have seen 1st hand the graduates of the programs (medical, dental... etc)... and there are reasons why people who graduated from that other school in Philly told me to go to Temple over that other school (not that that school is bad obviously). :)

Good luck with everything, hope to see you in my class this august!

Oh please, do tell the reasons! I have a day or two before I make my final decision and I want to make sure I have my facts straight!

I would feel much more comfortable sending in that $1000 refundable deposit if they allowed us to make a decision once an alternate spot opened up.

I can picture myself receiving a seat from the alternate list in June and then bemoaning the amount of money I have already spent on Temple. AND THEN, if I do decide to go to Temple, I would lose $1000 to Marquette.

If you have the bankroll and you are torn between the two schools, go for it.
Or even if you feel like you will forever be tormented by the "what if it was Marquette."

Oh please, do tell the reasons! I have a day or two before I make my final decision and I want to make sure I have my facts straight!

I was told to save my money pretty much. The education that I get at either school will prepare me for any specialty program I want to go into, or general practice. ( this is coming from a dentist who is running a specialty residency program... who graduated from Penn back in the day). I am not discrediting Penn in anyway, and I am sure that there are many that will disagree with me however this is what I am told by people in the community who know both temple and Penn graduates.

Either program will produce a great practitioner, but those who went to Penn say that the program is not what is used to be, while Temple's program has improved since they were in school. Being a PA resident, I will save alot of money going to Temple, so that could be their reasoning as well. They explained to me that both educations were on par with each other, and that if I can save money by going to Temple then thats what I should do.

I did spend some time and Penn for a post bacc, and it is a great school. I think for me the biggest thing that I am giving up (other than the name) is the campus that Penn has. The undergrad campus is alot to be desired when comparing Temple and Penn. I am more likely to spend the day in the Penn library as opposed to Temple's. Penn's main library, with its new wing, it beautiful (although I have never been at Temple's). The dental building at Penn is also a little newer, and has a little more light... so that could be something you want to look at, although i believe Temple is renovating a little.

Both schools will provide you with a vast amount of knowledge and experience.I wish you luck in your decision, I know it will be a hard one. I think which ever school you decide, you will be happy.