Temple vs Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostonmedical

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how these schools compare for those who have applied, interview, or attended.

THis was an open question. I have not even applied yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I have actually interviewed at both, and both were really impressive to me. I know a lot of people talk about the neighborhood of Temple, but it really isn't that bad. I interviewed with a professor who really impressed me because he told me that it is his job to make sure that every student becomes a doctor, and I hadn't seen that level of involvement/feeling of responsibility of professors prior to that interview (although at Morehouse-which I interviewed at after Temple- I felt that the entire school, from professors to staff to other students, etc. felt that it was their job to make sure everyone eventually got their degree.)

The only thing that gave me a negative impression of Temple was the financial aid. In the end, it is about $70k/yr. and the financial aid rep was very clear that you will probably be paying for school 100% through loans, and that there are not enough federal/student loans available to you to cover the cost of your education, so you would have to find outside sources of loans...and your two choices were loans that would accrue intrest immediately at a fixed rate, or those that did so with a variable rate...but the good thing about the one with a fixed (8.5%) rate was that if you died before you were able to pay it off, it was forgivable, whereas the variable was not. (I know...pretty depressing presentation about financial aid!)

All in all, I liked the city of Atlanta more, and the overall feel of the students and staff at Morehouse, but those are things that can't be measured prior to an interview, so if you are considering applying to both...I say go ahead! They both seem like wonderful schools

Got into Morehouse in December (interviewed in November) and I thought that it was AMAZING. The city of Atlanta is incredible, and MSM is a very impressive school (especially thier 100% step 1 passage rate). With the school fielding the nation's smallest class each year, you really get a personalized experience. It seems that pretty much everyone associated with the school (students, faculty, and administration) knows your name. I was a bit concerned with the trouble Grady Memorial Hospital (the teaching hospital of MSM and Emory) was in financially when I visited, but it seems that that isn't going to be a huge issue in the future.

Definitely apply! And apply early. I think the majority of people form my interview session got it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. How does healthcare delivery differe between the Philly and Atlanta.
Two different cities/states. North vs. South

I wonder what kind of cases are more prevalent in each. Commuter city vs driving city.

I need to get my hands on that MSAR book. Unfortunately it went missing as soon as I requested it from the library.

Interesting. How does healthcare delivery differe between the Philly and Atlanta.
Two different cities/states. North vs. South

I wonder what kind of cases are more prevalent in each. Commuter city vs driving city.

I need to get my hands on that MSAR book. Unfortunately it went missing as soon as I requested it from the library.

I can only speak for Philadelphia as I have never lived near Atlanta, however, I am sure that as two large, urban cities that they are comparable.

Philadelphia has a TON of teaching hospitals simply because of the fact there are 5 medical schools in the city. A lot of cutting edge research, novel procedures, and unorthodox treatments take place in Philly. The city has a very diverse population (racially, ethnically, and economically) and you will definitely see a plethora of medical complexities that make you go "what the heck is that?!?!?" and "good Lord, that s--- is still around?". And since the 5th and 21st most "dangerous" cities in the US are Camden, NJ and Philly, respectively, you are going to see a lot in the ER (unfortunately). Every time I turn on the news I feel like WWIII is going on over here!

One other thing to note is that there is a very large uninsured population here in this region. Many medical students volunteer at the free health care clinics run by the Phil. Dept. of Health for additional exposure.

Anyway, hope this helps!

I this is based on my limited knowledge:
Morehouse: Small class size (56), generally produces primary care docs, located in ATL, less crime, lower cost of living, committment to underserved populations and community service, teaching hospital is shared with Emory students, I don't know about public trans here, slower paced (if you're from the North), patient population is mainly black and white (I'm speculating).

Temple: larger city (I think in the top 5 of the US), within minutes of UPenn, Drexel, and Jefferson medical schools (and law schools, etc), New contruction going on, more crime (higest number of murders in the US so far), level 1 trauma center for good clinical exposure (ditto on the camden crime/access), higher cost of living, but many options, many don't like the immediate living area of the Univ, but there are many options in nearby center city, or towards the subburbs 25 mins north on 611, public transprot not too bad, there's a subway system, and NJ transit to go to NJ and NYC ($25). VERY pricy for a "state-like" school, faster paced city (if you're from the South), patient population is all colors, white black, hispanic (there is a large population in and around Temple), african, indian, etc....it's more of a melting pot.

hope this helps!

i live in philly now, and honestly i'm so ready to leave! I turned down my interview at temple because of other acceptances, so i don't know all that much about the school. But i was sure i'd go to morehouse over temple; i really liked atlanta, really liked the feel at morehouse and how close everyone was and the professors and everything. I think morehouse is such a hidden gem and was so impressed with this school.

I actually think Grady Hospital is going to present some issues in the future. I've lived here my whole life, and Grady has never been stable. It's in billions of dollars of debt...billions. That was a large concern for me when choosing schools to apply to....Emory will feel the strain, too. I did visit temple...I like Atlanta better, but I'm of course not as familiar with philly. I loved their hospitals...I gave up that seat because philly was NOT for me...are you goign to the schools' second looks?