Temple VS UNLV. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImFlossy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently been accepted to a few schools and am struggling trying to decide which would be best for my career aspirations...I would like to specialize after dental school (looking at pediatrics) and I am trying to evaluate which school will have a better chance of getting into me a residency program on the West coast ( I am from CA). I have been accepted at:

Temple
UNLV
WesternU

I am torn between UNLV and Temple because I know both have graduated students who move on to residency however I would really like some input on which school is stronger, has a better reputation, and will give me the best quality of education. Any input or advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you very much! :) !

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know if you have picked which school to go to yet. I am graduating from UNLV SDM in May. The School has pros and cons.

Pros: Great OS/Endo education (I've extracted 250+ teeth, fully impacted 3rds, molar endo)
Large patient pool
Outreach clinic
Faculty that will give you plenty of one on one time
High placement into residency programs

Cons: Few faculty members that can make you life very tough and stressful
Disconnect with the administration
Very protocol oriented

UNLV is a great school. Every dental school has its problems. UNLV is no different. They hand select their students. They know who they want to be part of their school. Also, UNLV places almost every student into the residency they want. You won't be afraid to do complex surgeries or molar endo because if you want to do it, it is there to do. There is a lot of protocol which is very stressful to learn. You always fear breaking protocol. If you can handle that, then UNLV is no problem. I can't compare our school to others because this is where I wanted to go. I am happy with my decision. I have received an education that I believe is superior to all others. Good luck with your decision. I hope you'll be wearing grey scrubs at UNLV in the fall.

Plus they have a strip club right next to the UNLV dental school so when you're feeling stressed you can just head over to the next building :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: