Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am going to be attending Temple at the end of August, which Im pumped about, Of Course!!!! I know Temple staggers the classes that you take and I was wondering what classes we would be starting first. Also, what is a typical day like? One last thing concerning housing, what all do we need to bring? Thanks for your advice! Can't wait to meet all of my new classmates!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I am going to be attending Temple at the end of August, which Im pumped about, Of Course!!!! I know Temple staggers the classes that you take and I was wondering what classes we would be starting first. Also, what is a typical day like? One last thing concerning housing, what all do we need to bring? Thanks for your advice! Can't wait to meet all of my new classmates!:)

You are correct in that TUSPM usually staggers the classes. The courses that you usually start out with initially are Biochemistry, Histology, and Gross Anatomy (which includes Embryology). Your typical day usually starts around 8 - 9 am and end some time between 3 - 6 pm. On days that you have lab, you will be there until 6 pm. Classes are only held from Mon - Fri. There are no classes on the weekend. The gross anatomy lab is open for students whenever the academic building is open. The academic building (during the school year) is open Mon - Thurs 7 am - 12 midnight, Fri 7 am - 5 pm, Sat 8 am - 6 pm, Sun 8 am - 11 pm. The students will also have access to the computer labs and school gym during those building hours. Library has its own hours. There is a 24 hour study lounge over at the Student Housing Complex.

In terms of housing, the apartments will be furnished with a twin bed (I can't remember if it was XL twin or regular twin bed), a desk with a hutch for books and built in lighting, chair, and possibly a bookcase (I can't remember) in the bedrooms. In the living / dining room areas, you will have a couch, dining table with chairs, fridge, oven, telephone, and arm chair. You are responsible for your own linens, personal belongs, cooking and dining stuff, microwave oven (if desired), TV (if desired), computer, lighting for the bedroom, hangers for the closet. If you forget anything, you can always run over to K-mart in the nearby Gallery Mall, which is within walking distance. If you have a car, you can always go to WalMart, Target, Bed Bath Beyond, etc.... Each apartment has a storage locker located behind the laundry room on each floor. If you live in a two or three bedroom apt, I would encourage you to coordinate with your apartment mates as to what to bring.

I hope that this helps. Welcome to the TUSPM family. You will be getting mailings from TUSPM and TUSPM Orientation Committee over the summer.

Thanks alot for all of the info! Did you do any reviewing before you went? I am excited, but dont want to get behind early. Any review materials that you could suggest, Ive never taken histology or embryology so Im slightly nervous. Any info or insight anyone could give would be much appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
how does temple's housing work? is it just for students to be put in with students? is it near the school?

Thanks alot for all of the info! Did you do any reviewing before you went? I am excited, but dont want to get behind early. Any review materials that you could suggest, Ive never taken histology or embryology so Im slightly nervous. Any info or insight anyone could give would be much appreciated!:)

I actually did not reviewed anything prior to going to TUSPM. In the past, the Gross Anatomy professor would include some reading materials for the anatomy course in the mailling from TUSPM over the summer. However, the former Gross Anatomy professor has retired and do not know if the new professor would mail out stuff for the course over the summer. I would recommend that you take it easy this summer since you will have a lot of work ahead of you for the upcoming school year.

Any specific details about the courses would be best addressed by current TUSPM students since the courses may have changed with different instructor. Biochemistry uses a pretty good text. They usually follow the Lippincott's Illustrated Review: Biochemistry book. For Gross Anatomy, I recommend getting an anatomy atlas. There are many anatomy atlases out there. I used Netter's when I was a student. As for Histology, the course has majority of the materials online for you to review. If you are feeling that you are falling behind or not understanding concepts in the courses, you should see out help early. TUSPM does offer tutoring services. For me, I was able to study with a group people, whom I became very good friends with. When studying in a group, some one in the group would be able to explain a concept that I did not fully understand. Lastly, I recommend that you try to stay on top of the materials. Gross Anatomy tends to move very fast.

Over the summer, you will also be notified about being paired up with a second year student who will serve as your big sibling. I would definitely touch base with him/her about some additional advice. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck at TUSPM.

how does temple's housing work? is it just for students to be put in with students? is it near the school?

Well, TUSPM housing complex is located right next to the TUSPM academic building. The TUSPM housing complex is restricted to TUSPM students and Temple University graduate students. Of course, this is subject to change since I graduated from TUSPM a few years ago.

TUSPM housing complex consists of studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms apartments. They are fully furnished.

This is the schedule we had last year for the fall sem. Your schedule my be like this in august. They start us off light and then starts to pick up.

Neuroscience 10a-12p M-F 8/28
Histology 1p-3p T&T 9/5
Gen. Anatomy 10a-12p 9/18 M-W-F
Gen. Anatomy Lab 1p-4p 9/18 M-W-F
Neuroscience 8a-10a or 9a-10a M-W-F 9/18
Neuroscience last exam on 10/6 ends part I
Physiology 10a-12p T&T 8a-10a or 9a-10a M-W-F 10/10
Histology ended on 11/16
Anatomy ended on 12/15
Physiology ended 1/25

Hope this helps!
Class 2010!