Temporal bone course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melimelomed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am a second year ENT resident in Canada. My proram will pay for each resident to go to a one-week temporal bone course in our third year of residency as we do no have such a course locally. Previous residents have generally gone to Ann Arbor and a few have recently gone to the House Institute Temporal Bone Course. I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions as to the best temporal bone course for resident with preferably a lot of hands-on (drilling) and adequate guidance/supervision. I have also heard that there is a free course that is offered to residents by an instrument company? Does anyone knows anything about it?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the T bone courses other than Michigan - a guy in my program went to their course and said it was a good experience, lots of drilling.

Anspach and Medtronic (Midas Rex) both sponsor courses for residents that are geared towards neurosurgery + otolaryngology approaches to the temporal bone and skull base. They were both excellent in that they: 1) were fully sponsored and 2) included half day didactic and half day cadaver dissection. There was probably less direct oversight during drilling than you might get at a "regular" T bone course. You'll need to contact your local sales rep for details on getting enrolled.

The Michigan course is probably your best option. You drill all day, everyday, for 5 days. Excellent instructors and lectures. The lab is brand new with state-of-the-art equipment.