Tennessee re-applicant advice/ school list assistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNDocDoc2

Reaction score
Hello,

I graduate in 2022 with a dual degree (BS in chemistry, BA in spanish) and applied this cycle with 510 MCAT (129/124/128/129). I submitted the secondaries 1-2 after receiving them.

Race/Ethnicity: White
GPA: 3.99 cumulative (one A- in pchem) at liberal arts college
MCAT: 510
State of Residence: TN
Extracurriculars: heavy clinical (4 years paid technician in TN hospital, 1000s of hours, 3 years of chemistry research (no publications), Spanish medical interpreting for primary care docs (TN and Honduras), leadership positions in fraternity and on campus
Letters: strong, 2 chemistry professors, 1 spanish professor, superviser from work, 1 shadowed/ worked with family medicine MD

Applied to schools: UTHSC-COM, ETSU-COM, Tulane, Wake Forest, Emory (really want state schools)

Had 2 interviews at state schools, other schools rejected after they ended their interview cycles
Still waiting to hear back this cycle from a holding category post-interview, but holding category seems like a pre-rejection (??)

If this school does not work out, should i retake MCAT before this next cycle? What else can I do? I feel like I have done everything that I could, but have just been unlucky. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake the MCAT. If you do not get accepted, the main things holding you back were a very short school list, interview skills, and lack of non-clinical volunteering. Immediately reach out to homeless shelters, soup kitchens, food banks, etc to begin serving those less fortunate in your area. Medicine is an altruistic profession.

I suggest applying to:
Your state schools again
Tulane
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
VCU
EVMS
Einstein (maybe)

Also apply to DO. You are competitive for all of them. Here are some suggestions:

TUNCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
ACOM
CUSOM
NYITCOM
Touro NY
LECOM

Reactions: 1 users
You pretty much applied with metrics but no community service that shows your ability to stretch beyond your comfort zone. Especially in Tennessee, work with the rural community is going to be critical. Use your Spanish interpreting to help migrant workers with getting housing or other non medical resources. Legal assistance for LGBTQ+ community. Just examples.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with above. FYI, non-clinical volunteering is de facto required at Creighton.

If you want to be a doctor you’d best widen your school list. I also applied to only six schools in my first application season, and ended up empty-handed after two interviews. Only when I reapplied to 20 schools did I get 2 acceptances. Yes, I went to medical school out of state and I don’t regret it one bit. I did return for residency and fellowship

Reactions: 1 users