Tennessee vs Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abbs12

Reaction score
I have been accepted IS at Tennessee and OOS for Missouri. According to VMCAS, the total cost of attendance for each is $234.9k and $238.3k, respectively. If these estimates are fairly accurate, cost shouldn't be a big deciding factor for me. I enjoyed both cities and schools when I visited. Can anyone give me insight on living in Columbia and Knoxville?

As for academic stuff, I'm interested in pathology, ophthalmology, and research, but am also very open and undecided about what exactly I want to focus on after vet school. I'd love to hear more about each school and program as well. What do you like and not like about each?

Any advice for other factors I should be thinking about when choosing? I have read the pros/cons google doc already, but any additional help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a quick look at the VIN map because I was surprised those numbers were so close. VIN has a total difference of around $30K, which for me personally would be enough to sway me. Here is that map if you want to check it out. You might need to do some independent research; I’m surprised the two sources have such a difference.

In terms of UT and Knoxville, I can speak to that. I’m a first year and new to the city

Knoxville is a smaller city for some. I find that downtown has a great variety of restaurants and stores and is very walkable. There are nice paved greenways throughout the area and if you go out about 20-30 minutes you can find some great hiking. If you’re a bar/late night person there are lots of options there as well plus great breweries. Additionally almost everywhere is pet friendly on their patios which I love.

Cost of living for me is very reasonable. There are students that rent a bedroom and pay about $600 plus utilities or you can rent a house for $800-1300 (depending on quality size) if you want the privacy/yard. You can easily find somewhere within a 10-15 minute drive to school or less.

UT does not track, but you can pick electives based off your interests The majority of professors are fantastic and available for questions. The pathologists are AWESOME.With your interest you can go to path rounds which are daily (assuming interesting necropsies that day) and
Also some pathology electives plus a rotation 4th year.

The current 2nd year class will be the first to start clinics in January of their 3rd year, providing extra clinic time. Prior to that I think hands on is a bit limited, but the many clubs have labs that give you opportunities to practice skills.

For research, there are summer opportunities available, and they are paid. I can’t speak much to them but I believe the projects are presented by faculty and then there is a “match” to pair you up.

In terms of things I don’t like; parking! But honestly,so far there has been nothing significant that has greatly bothered me. I think every school is going to have problems here and there and that’s just part of life.

I hope that helps some. Any other questions I’m happy to try to answer those too.

Reactions: 1 user
I would rely on VIN over the VMCAS map-literally they suck at updating the VMCAS website, VIN is well maintained. 30k was enough to pick up my life and move 1500 miles because you're also saving all that interest. Speaking tuition strictly you're looking at a 42k difference. I would highly recommend staying in TN. I would also review the requirements in the packet they gave you for changing residency to Missouri. It is doable, but also very strict-my friend went through their process and they are super stringent. I have nothing to really add other than validity on the 2 different websites

Reactions: 1 users
I took a quick look at the VIN map because I was surprised those numbers were so close. VIN has a total difference of around $30K, which for me personally would be enough to sway me. Here is that map if you want to check it out. You might need to do some independent research; I’m surprised the two sources have such a difference.

In terms of UT and Knoxville, I can speak to that. I’m a first year and new to the city

Knoxville is a smaller city for some. I find that downtown has a great variety of restaurants and stores and is very walkable. There are nice paved greenways throughout the area and if you go out about 20-30 minutes you can find some great hiking. If you’re a bar/late night person there are lots of options there as well plus great breweries. Additionally almost everywhere is pet friendly on their patios which I love.

Cost of living for me is very reasonable. There are students that rent a bedroom and pay about $600 plus utilities or you can rent a house for $800-1300 (depending on quality size) if you want the privacy/yard. You can easily find somewhere within a 10-15 minute drive to school or less.

UT does not track, but you can pick electives based off your interests The majority of professors are fantastic and available for questions. The pathologists are AWESOME.With your interest you can go to path rounds which are daily (assuming interesting necropsies that day) and
Also some pathology electives plus a rotation 4th year.

The current 2nd year class will be the first to start clinics in January of their 3rd year, providing extra clinic time. Prior to that I think hands on is a bit limited, but the many clubs have labs that give you opportunities to practice skills.

For research, there are summer opportunities available, and they are paid. I can’t speak much to them but I believe the projects are presented by faculty and then there is a “match” to pair you up.

In terms of things I don’t like; parking! But honestly,so far there has been nothing significant that has greatly bothered me. I think every school is going to have problems here and there and that’s just part of life.

I hope that helps some. Any other questions I’m happy to try to answer those too.

Thank you, I really appreciate your thoughtful response!

I have a few other questions:
1. What is the exam schedule like so far?
2. How early would you recommend looking for housing?
3. What kind of opportunities are there at UT for students to work a few hours a week during school?
4. I read a little bit about ABLEs. Can you tell me about your experience with those?
5. It says on UT's website that the cost for one year of books is $3,500. Is it necessary to buy all of the books? Do older students sell their books?
6. What kind of laptop would you recommend purchasing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted IS at Tennessee and OOS for Missouri. According to VMCAS, the total cost of attendance for each is $234.9k and $238.3k, respectively. If these estimates are fairly accurate, cost shouldn't be a big deciding factor for me. I enjoyed both cities and schools when I visited. Can anyone give me insight on living in Columbia and Knoxville?

As for academic stuff, I'm interested in pathology, ophthalmology, and research, but am also very open and undecided about what exactly I want to focus on after vet school. I'd love to hear more about each school and program as well. What do you like and not like about each?

Any advice for other factors I should be thinking about when choosing? I have read the pros/cons google doc already, but any additional help/insight would be greatly appreciated!
As a former Mizzou student, I say if it's cheaper to stay at UT, stay there. It will be cheaper and you will get a great education regardless of where you go.

Thank you, I really appreciate your thoughtful response!

I have a few other questions:
1. What is the exam schedule like so far?
2. How early would you recommend looking for housing?
3. What kind of opportunities are there at UT for students to work a few hours a week during school?
4. I read a little bit about ABLEs. Can you tell me about your experience with those?
5. It says on UT's website that the cost for one year of books is $3,500. Is it necessary to buy all of the books? Do older students sell their books?
6. What kind of laptop would you recommend purchasing?

1. for the most part, we have a midterm week and a finals week. Most classes have 2 exams and they fall during those times. A few classes are 3 exams and those of course are a bit staggered. You should be able to get onto vet net without logging in. Scroll down a little to the calendar and just above that click on “schedules” and you can view each semester. Don’t be alarmed; most of the labs are 1/2 or 1/3 the class so the week looks busier than it actually is.https://liveutk.sharepoint.com/sites/utcvm/SitePages/Home.aspx
2. I started looking at housing in late May I think? It’s very seasonal thanks to UT but I think June/July would be fine too. I’m just a bit picky.
3. Opportunities for working don’t start till second semester. You can be a food rep or actually work for the school. A lot of the UT positions are on call so you take a day every 7-10d depending on how many students you’re rotating with. Right now I know there is ER, surgical, and clin path lab positions. There may be more that I just don’t know.
4. I have not done ABLES yet. Half the class did in the fall and my half shadowed in the hospital. My understanding is basically, as a small group, you get a case on paper, think about questions, how things work, what you would want to do as a doctor, study those things and come back the next day for more info. It’s a week long activity.
5. NO! That quote is a total lie. Fall there was I believe 1 required book and this spring was 2. We also needed dissection kits and coveralls if you didn’t have. I don’t think I broke $200 in the fall but I’m not totally sure. 2nd year we buy surgical kits which I believe are pricey but I don’t know the actual amount. Some older students do sell books but there’s no organized way of going about it. Best prices are just searching online and ordering there.
6. laptop...that’s out of my department. Most people use OneNote and upload powerpoints on there. Only one professor does not provide powerpoints. For that class there are drawings and some people prefer to color on the paper handout and others take a picture and color it in on their touchscreen laptop. So I guess all I can say is I’d recommend a touchscreen, maybe one that can turn into a tablet and has a pen.

Hope that helps!

1. for the most part, we have a midterm week and a finals week. Most classes have 2 exams and they fall during those times. A few classes are 3 exams and those of course are a bit staggered. You should be able to get onto vet net without logging in. Scroll down a little to the calendar and just above that click on “schedules” and you can view each semester. Don’t be alarmed; most of the labs are 1/2 or 1/3 the class so the week looks busier than it actually is.https://liveutk.sharepoint.com/sites/utcvm/SitePages/Home.aspx
2. I started looking at housing in late May I think? It’s very seasonal thanks to UT but I think June/July would be fine too. I’m just a bit picky.
3. Opportunities for working don’t start till second semester. You can be a food rep or actually work for the school. A lot of the UT positions are on call so you take a day every 7-10d depending on how many students you’re rotating with. Right now I know there is ER, surgical, and clin path lab positions. There may be more that I just don’t know.
4. I have not done ABLES yet. Half the class did in the fall and my half shadowed in the hospital. My understanding is basically, as a small group, you get a case on paper, think about questions, how things work, what you would want to do as a doctor, study those things and come back the next day for more info. It’s a week long activity.
5. NO! That quote is a total lie. Fall there was I believe 1 required book and this spring was 2. We also needed dissection kits and coveralls if you didn’t have. I don’t think I broke $200 in the fall but I’m not totally sure. 2nd year we buy surgical kits which I believe are pricey but I don’t know the actual amount. Some older students do sell books but there’s no organized way of going about it. Best prices are just searching online and ordering there.
6. laptop...that’s out of my department. Most people use OneNote and upload powerpoints on there. Only one professor does not provide powerpoints. For that class there are drawings and some people prefer to color on the paper handout and others take a picture and color it in on their touchscreen laptop. So I guess all I can say is I’d recommend a touchscreen, maybe one that can turn into a tablet and has a pen.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, your answers are super helpful!

1. Did you find it really difficult to have tests over that much material? I'm definitely more used to 3-4 exams in a semester, but I have had a few that only have a midterm and final. Also, I wasn't able to access the schedule page without logging in.
2. Are there any apartment complexes that come to mind that most vet students live in?
3. Are those positions pretty limited? Or are most people able to get in on those rotations if they want to?
6. My current laptop is not touchscreen, but I have heard people say touchscreen is the best option. I guess I may have to get a new one!

Thank you again and sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
Thank you, your answers are super helpful!

1. Did you find it really difficult to have tests over that much material? I'm definitely more used to 3-4 exams in a semester, but I have had a few that only have a midterm and final. Also, I wasn't able to access the schedule page without logging in.
2. Are there any apartment complexes that come to mind that most vet students live in?
3. Are those positions pretty limited? Or are most people able to get in on those rotations if they want to?
6. My current laptop is not touchscreen, but I have heard people say touchscreen is the best option. I guess I may have to get a new one!

Thank you again and sorry for all the questions!
Bummer you need to be logged in for vetnet! It's super useful stuff. But I guess that's why you need to log in...

1. I personally don't have much problem with the quantity for the tests. You HAVE to stay on top of everything. I procrastinated finals last semester and it sucked. Study a bit every day and it'll be ok. Several of the classes also have quizzes and points from other assignments, so for the most part your entire grade is not dependent on 2 exams.
2. Apartment complexes....I'm not super sure. There's a few in S. Knoxville and some just barely West that I think people live in. If you accept you'll get more info in your class' facebook group
3. The positions are just now opening for first years to apply, so with those 3 I know of there's probably 15-20 jobs there? I don't know applicant numbers or any actual data. If you're concerned about finances I'm sure you could find a flexible job outside UT.

Bummer you need to be logged in for vetnet! It's super useful stuff. But I guess that's why you need to log in...

1. I personally don't have much problem with the quantity for the tests. You HAVE to stay on top of everything. I procrastinated finals last semester and it sucked. Study a bit every day and it'll be ok. Several of the classes also have quizzes and points from other assignments, so for the most part your entire grade is not dependent on 2 exams.
2. Apartment complexes....I'm not super sure. There's a few in S. Knoxville and some just barely West that I think people live in. If you accept you'll get more info in your class' facebook group
3. The positions are just now opening for first years to apply, so with those 3 I know of there's probably 15-20 jobs there? I don't know applicant numbers or any actual data. If you're concerned about finances I'm sure you could find a flexible job outside UT.

Thank you so much--you've been so helpful!

Can anyone speak to the diversity and inclusion in Knoxville/Columbia? Has anyone experienced discrimination on basis of gender/race/sexual orientation/etc?

My family is interracial and my husband in particular is worried about moving to the Midwest/South. When I visited the two cities I did not personally encounter anything, but some Uber drivers told me that it does happen. He will be visiting Tennessee at the end of the month, but I'd like to send my acceptance letter with him!

Knoxville is largely a college town, so very open and inclusive. Haven't heard of bad experiences from any of my classmates. Very rarely you get prejudiced clients on clinics, I feel like that happens everywhere but...well, I can't really say for sure. I can't speak for the rest of East Tennessee in general though. I basically hang out in Knoxville, Chattanooga, or Gatlinburg.